BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

I have a split system. I woke up and the larger units fan

I have a split system. I woke up and the larger unit's fan was not turning. Went to some discussion forums and the advice was to replace the compacitor because when I gave fan a little push it started right up just fine. So I replaced the compacitor and now the fan just turns extremely slowely. Looks like it's trying to go becuase it'll get a little spurt and start to try and speed up but it never actually gains any speed. I try to push it with a stick like I did before and that doesn't work. What's wrong? Do I need to replace the motor?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

did you use same size/value capacitor?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean size in appearance? The new one is taller and skinnier. Or do you mean the other set of numbers on it? They both have a 350V
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.
are the fan wires on F and C
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just double checked and the old compacitor says 350/370V and the new one says 370V. Yes I took pictures of which wires were on Fan, C, and Hern before I removed the old one and copied it when I connected the new one.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

thank you have compressorwire to Herm and Fan wire to Fan?

And the capacitor is labeled as a 5uf/60uf or vice versa?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes the wiring to the capacitor is correct. The old capacitor says 5/60uf and the new capacitor says 60/5uf.

I should note that when I was doing further research some techs in the discussion forums said that a capacitor will bulge when it goes bad. After inspecting my old capacitor I didn't notice any bulging of any kind.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

The fact it did start with a push does lead one to think capacitor. But the outcome after replacing capacitor with new does not usually match with your final symptom.

This would be a bad motor..unless...the other ends of the wires at the contactor came loose.

If the contactor wires are snug and the capacitor is wired right, then you have a bad motor. It is just not the symptoms one usually finds after changing capacitor after it did start with a push.