Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

how to calibrate tempuratue on amana thermostat type 1F95-

Customer Question

how to calibrate tempuratue on amana thermostat type 1F95-398
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 years ago.

Phil :

Hi,This is risky business, not responsible for damages on your end. We *keep going until *you are happy. I come and go. be patient

Customer :

no

Phil :

Amana does not make its own thermo stats but buys them from other mfgrs.. this one lists the same type

Phil :

let me do some more checking

Customer :

white-rodgers mfg.

Phil :

thanks

Phil :

those are not calibrate-able. they use thermistor type sensors, and fixed resistors.. no variable resistors that would allow recalibration.

Phil :

Let me know if you need further elaboration, we can go from there, Phil

Phil :

Tell me if you see a flat wound tapered coil... with a slider on it, that says 'increase' and has an arrow on it.

Phil :

If so, some have that for heating, some do not.

Phil :

it is a 'heat anticipator' made to get warm when the furnace is heating mode, and warm the thermistor sensors in the thermostat so that the stats shuts off prematurely.. preventing over heating the house due to residual heat in the furnace after the gas valve closes.

Phil :

stay in touch, Phil

Customer :

all electric, I have two identical units. When set on the same temp, the opposite ends of the house are several degrees different. Air and heat

Customer :

do not see what you decribed

Phil :

Thanks.

Phil :

Ive been in this business for 50 years, run several large operations, and have been consulting on large controls systems in the million dollar and above range for the last 20 years.... I told you that because i want you know that my following remark is not just an off hand sort of response.

Phil :

the situation you have is due to inevitable load and system variables related to the relative size of each system compared to the space it handles..... and.... the sensing elements on the thermostats... those typically vary plus or minus at least 1 degree, most vary plus or minus 2 degrees (F)

Phil :

thats whats happening in your case... one may be reading a bit high.. the other may be reading a bit low..and you are seeing a 3 to 4 degree spread when in fact there may only be a 1 degree spread.... or... one system may have a minor air leak in a duct... or any one of a dozen different and normal variables.

Phil :

Let me know if you need further elaboration, Phil

Phil :

we can go from there.

Customer :

can they be calibrated

Phil :

at the factory they can be calibrated.. but not in the field at all.. had you scrolled the screen up to see my extensive prior remarks, and an answer to the calibration question/

Phil :

Scroll the screen up... read that, we can go from there, Phil