ComfortZone
ComfortZone, HVAC Technician
Experience:  10 years in the HVAC industry.
8985078

I have a Bryant HVAC mixed system model# XXXXX and FB4ANF036

Customer Question

I have a Bryant HVAC mixed system model# XXXXX and FB4ANF036 for the furnace. The home is all electric. Is the exterior unit a Heat Pump or just an A/C? There is not an "Emergency heat" setting on the thermostat. When turning thermostat to heat on a day when it is 55-60F it produces heat of approximately 90-98F from the registers. Is this running on striaght electric heat (exterior unit never runs0?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  ComfortZone replied 3 years ago.

ComfortZone :

Yes that is a heatpump and if the outside unit never runs in heat mode you are using staight electric heat. Not uncommon for someone to put in the wrong thermostat or they did not set it up properly for a heatpump. What is the model of the thermostat?

ComfortZone :

Look here

Customer :

I do not have the model of the thermostat....It is a Foreclosure home I was looking at to flip. It is a digitial thermostat, but slide levers for "Heat-Off-Coo," without an emergency heat option. I would assume this system should never run on straight electric heat unless completely necessary. Winters get pretty cold here 10-20F during the colder months. I would assume running the heat on a mild day of 60F should definitely not run on straight electric heat, would be extremely inefficient and costly. Next question; I know what a split system is (Gas furnace with heat pump for mild temperatures)...Is there a similar type of system with all electric? This home is a 4-bedroom 2-story approximately 2600sq ft. and is 23 years old. The HVAC system is 6 years old. Is it most likely thermostat was switched by home-owner? The thermostat appears to be newer than HVAC system and can't imagine a HVAC tech would install this wrong when system was installed. What is the easiest way to determine the difference between a Heat pump and an A/C? Thanks

Customer :

?

ComfortZone :

That split system you are talking about is simply a heatpump with gas furnace for backup heat instead of electric. More efficient since than electric until the price of natural gas escalates. The backup/aux heat, whether gas or electric, will come on anytime the thermostat demand temp is 2 degrees below the desired temp. So on a 60 degree day you should not need any backup/aux heat. If that thermostat has no EM setting then it was probably put in by homeowner who had no clue and that may be why the outdoor unit does not come on.