Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

My Honeywell thermostat is not working. I replaced the batteries

My Honeywell thermostat is not working. I replaced the batteries but don't know what else to do. There is no air coming out of the vents at all. Please help. My model number is: T8602D2018w0227. THanks!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.

Try this: unsnap the front portion of the thermostat from the wall and you will see some wires behind it. Turn the furnace power off. Now take the red wire (R) loose from the terminal and the white wire (W) loose and twist the ends together. Turn power back on. Let me know if furnace works and heats the house.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not trying to heat my house, I am trying to cool it. Does this apply to the air conditioning as well. Also, are you referring to the individual Thermostats in our house (like in the master bedroom), I don't see any wires.
Maybe you mean in the basement?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
You didn't say in your post whether you were trying to heat or cool. If you are testing the air conditioning, you would twist the red, yellow, and green wires together after turning power off. The wires will be in the back of the thermostat when you snap off the front from the back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just need more help since this is not my expertise. I looked in the Thermostat and I see red, yellow and green wires plugged into separate outlets or areas in the box. Are you telling me to unplug each wire, wrap them all together and then plug them into one outlet?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.
No, just take them loose from their terminals, and wrap the metal ends together. These will be the red, the yellow (or sometimes blue is used on Y), and the green. Make sure you turn furnace power off first. Then once all 3 wires are securely wrapped together and not touching anything else, turn power back on.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.