Jerry, Service Technician
Experience:  HVAC Technician. Hearth Products Specialty

I have just purchased a used 250 gal gas propane tank for

Customer Question

I have just purchased a used 250 gal gas propane tank for residential use.I used to rent my old one.I understand I need to use the 2 stage LPG regultor system.My question is the first stage regulator and second stage regultor pre set. My old tank has a fisher regulator thats 10 years old.It says 5.5-10.5.Is it pre set for that range? If so must I find a find a regulator that is 5.5-10.5? Or can I get another.What is considered a safe setting? Thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Marc replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for contacting ja.com.
As this is a huge liability issue I would only recommend contacting your local LP gas dealer. But to answer the question, yes the working pressures are within 5.5-10.5" of water column. Designating the proper gas pressures necessary for your appliances to operate effectively. As with all plumbing and heating issues you should contact a licensed contractor to perform the repairs.
Marc the plumber
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand the liability issue.However your answer is not helping me out with how to install.My plan was to install both regulators and have someone from the gas company come oyt and inspect.Thats why I needed to no info on the regulators and also if the one at the tank is preset to 5.5-10.5 reduction.

Expert:  docsuby replied 3 years ago.
The pressure delivery settings are based off your usage and elevation above see level. If your old tank had those settings then that would also be appropriate for your new tank.
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.

There are two ways to set up an lp system for a home. The first way is to install a 2 stage regulator at the propane tank, This two stage regulator is preset at the factory to supply 11" of water column to the house line. There are no other regulators need from this point to the appliance. Appliances need 11 inches of water column to operate properly. This type of a system is used if the lp tank is set fairly close to the home and the piping to the tank is sized accordingly ( generally a 1/2" or 3/4" line depending on your fixtures).

The second way and more common way is to install 2 separate regulators, One regulator at the propane tank is a tank regulator that is installed which provides high pressure to the line to the home, this way a smaller diameter line can be installed underground to the home. Then at the home a secondary regulator is installed, this regulator at the home is preset to 11.inches of water column. This is generally adjustable so you can change the pressure.

When your propane supplier comes to fill your tank they are going to want to inspect the system and possibly do a pressure test on your piping with a slope gauge. They will then do a running pressure test on the appliance to insure the regulators are set properly.

Thanks for using JA.