Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My pilot light went out. I have a Robertshaw Gas Control Valve/thermostat

My pilot light went out. I have a Robertshaw Gas Control Valve/thermostat on my water heater. I am trying to relight it. I am following the instructions in my manual. Step 4 says Depress the dial stop and turn knob clockwise to the "off" position. I am not able to find the dial stop to depress
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

There should be a dial on top of the gas control valve (the device where the gas pipe connects and you set the temperature) at the bottom front of the tank. The dial will say ON, OFF, PILOT. There will be an indicator on the body of the valve

Rickheatdoc :

you need to set the dial to PILOT

Customer:

OK, I have done that

Rickheatdoc :

Next you depress the dial and hold it down. You valve might have a separate (usually) red button that needs to be depressed instead of the dial. While holding down the dial/button you put a match to the pilot burner inside the combustion chamber

Customer:

You don't use the igniter button?

Customer:

I guess I should say, you don't use the igniter button to light the pilot burber?

Rickheatdoc :

If you have an igniter button you should push it repeatedly until the pilot ignites.

Rickheatdoc :

Then you must keep holding the button down for at least 1 minute (maybe longer) before releasing the pilot dial/button. Then turn the dial to ON

Customer:

OK I have been trying that all morning and the pilot light wont light

Customer:

How far is the red button suppose to go down? I press down on the red button and it barely goes down

Customer:

When I press down on the red button and push the igniter button repeatedly I see a spark but nothing else happens. This is what it has been doing all morning. Do I need to just keep doing it until it lights?

Rickheatdoc :

The bottom of the button should touch the body of the gas valve. If it doesn't go all the way down you need to slightly reposition the dial until it does

Customer:

ok, let me try that

Customer:

Thank you that worked. The pilot light is now lit. I will happily accept your answer

Rickheatdoc :

Thanks for using Just Answer

Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.