Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

WHY DOES MY AIR CONDITIONER SMELL LIKE SMOKE WHEN I TURN IT

Customer Question

WHY DOES MY AIR CONDITIONER SMELL LIKE SMOKE WHEN I TURN IT ON?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 5 years ago.

Phil :

Hi,This is risky business, not responsible for damages on your end. We *keep going until *you are happy. I come and go. be patient

Phil :

The heating elements gather dust when out of use for a few months, if thats the case with your system, then that should burn off in the first hour... it is persists then there is some debris on the heating elements burning.. or the fan motor may be burning out, but thats more of melted plastic, toxic smell.

Phil :

Let me know what you think, we can go from there, Phil

JACUSTOMER-zlhbjtpp- :

only when the air conditioner is on not the hEAT.THE HEAT IS FINE

Phil :

Hello again, the only thing that will smoke when the cooling on is one of the electrical components in the air handler (furnace is the air handler for AC in most cases)

Phil :

that would be a bad fan motor, or loose wire connection that is in the process of burning off at the motor or motors run capacitor.

Phil :

let me know what you think, we can go from there, Phil

JACUSTOMER-zlhbjtpp- :

NO

Phil :

Why not continue, you incur no charges unless and until you accept... and you are not obligated to accept...and even if you accept you have months to get a full refund.

Phil :

I would like to help you resolve this.... and again it can be entirely free if you wish.

Phil :

Phil