Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a goodman model ck60-1c unit 10 years old and it is

I have a goodman model ck60-1c unit 10 years old and it is not kicking on, Just hums. I am assuming it is shorted to ground? Not tripping breaker. I had the condensor fan motor replace 2-3 years ago.

How do I confirm bad compressor? Are these compressor still made? Heard r22 discontinues and you have to upgrade to 410A?

Please advise on all?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Is the fan in top running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
condensor fan is not running - interior fan is running. thermostat is calling for cold
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Is the humming coming from a relay in the outdoor unit or is it the compressor or fan humming?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can not really tell - from top of unit just low hum. I can open it up?

it has a field break right next to the unit. Should I check current draw?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Do this...

shut the disconnect off next to unit...tell me if it still hums.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
pulled field breaker - humming continued. Re-installed breaker.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Good ,

this tells us the contactor is pulled in from thermostat signal.

Now can you follow the 220 wires into unit to the humming part ans see if 220 v is there. Do not measure to ground but measure wire to wire.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Contacter pulled in. Humming is from contacter. No 208 voltage on supply side of contater circut; checking breaker in main box now?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
correct!...now we have to see if fuse is blown in the disconnect box (if supplied) or if breaker tripped
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
House breaker was tripped; Silly me. I swear I checked it earlier. wonder why it tripped?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Could be at start up...or a part shorted in unit. Is it running now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
running just fine - dont have amp meter big enough to read current draw. What should it read? cooling as demand is set. Current temp is 70 F - thermostat set for 65. It is suppose to warm up to the 90s today and just wanted to make sure unit would work.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

If this is the first time starting this spring it is common to trip the breaker. The compressor has been sitting and just needed to get jogged.

I wouldnt worry unless it trips again in the near future.

Thanks for the help on your end!

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics