Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations
6927568

My air conditioner is not turning on, I have a honeywell LR69071

My air conditioner is not turning on, I have a honeywell LR69071 thermostat and I want to make sure it is not a thermostat problem as I moved it from one location to another before I call an A/C service. Which terminals on the thermostat control the AC and how would I be able to tell if a signal is being sent to the unit in order for it to turn on? Is there a voltage reading I can take?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Matthew replied 3 years ago.

Matthew :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you today.

Matthew :

when the thermostat is set to cool the Y terminal should become live with 24v. To bypass the thermostat and see if the system works take the wire under Y out and put it under the R terminal with the wire already there. When these two wires touch the system should come on.

Customer:

I am not getting any voltage at Y1, I am reading that between the G terminal and Y1. When I touch the yellow to the red wire the system does not come on. Is the G terminal Ground?

Matthew :

G is the fan.

Matthew :

R is always hot 24v, Y is hot when there is a cool call, G is hot when there is a fan "on" call, W is hot when there is a heat call. See if you get 24v at the R terminal

Customer:

what do I use for ground to read voltage

Matthew :

If you switch the thermostat to fan "on" does the fan come on?

Matthew :

if there is no C terminal hooked up on the thermostat you can't.

Customer:

No, the fan does not come on. However it does come on in Auto with a heat call

Matthew :

Is this an electric furnace?

Matthew :

with a heat pump outside?

Customer:

Yes it is an electric furnace with a heat pump

Matthew :

okay the blower call in heat is controled through the furnace has nothing to do with the thermostat. Does the outdoor unit come on like it should in heat mode?

Customer:

Yes it does

Matthew :

This thermostat requires that there is a jumper wire from the W1 terminal tot he Y1 terminal. It seems you only have power to the w1 terminal so it energizes the outdoor unit like it should for heat but not for cool when the y1 is energized.

Customer:

I do not have voltage on y or r, I am reading to a switch ground on a wall switch adjaent to the tstat

Customer:

I do not have a jumper between Y1 and W1, i will give it a try.

Customer:

There are no wires on W1, is that right? I have wires on W2, X, R, G, E and Y1

Customer:

I also have a wire on 0

Customer:

It did not come on with a jumper between y1 and w1

Matthew :

the jumper may be internal behind the plate connecting the two terminals

Matthew :

the schematic just shows the two jumped.

Matthew :

X is your common you can test voltage with this terminal

Matthew :

X to R should have 24v all the time.

Matthew :

but if heat comes on then R has to have voltage or the heat wouldn't come on.

Customer:

I have 26 volts x to r and x to y1 with a cool call

Matthew :

okay then the thermostat is doing it's job

Matthew :

so you need to see what is wrong with the outdoor unit

Customer:

I also have 26volts X to G but the fan is not running

Customer:

The fan does come on in auto with heat

Customer:

I have 240 at the unit, any thoughts?

Matthew :

An electric furnace powers the blower using a sequencer that energizes the blower when there is a heat call. It energizes the blower in a cooling call through a different relay. So it may be that this cooling relay is bad and not closing to bring on the blower.

Matthew :

There is something either in the furnace or a saftey device like a condensate pump or float switch that isn't relaying the voltage in a cooling call. It's not the thermostat.

Customer:

Thank you for your help, I think we have moved beyond my ability. I will hit accept, you have been very helpful

Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience: 14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations