Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

I have a carrier weathermaker 9200. It is throwing code 33.

Customer Question

I have a carrier weathermaker 9200. It is throwing code 33. The furnace big fan will not come on and it smells like there is an electical fire. I think the big fan motor is burnt out. The small fan comes on and then the gas ignites and about 3 minutes it stops. The large fan does not come on. Any suggestions?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

You pretty much are right on the money. The code is for priXXXXX XXXXXmit trip...and this is because the blower didnt cool the furnace.

Now just to make sure...you have 2 choices....either the circuit board is bad or the motor. The goal is to see if the motor is getting 115v or not. If the motor is hot it is a safe bet it is motor and not circuit board.

This involves replacing the motor.

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Billy,

I replaced the blower motor and the capacitor. small black fan starts, then the igniter works and the gas is buring. The blower motor won't start and the unit shuts down and throws code 33.

I'm stuck. Some of the other posts say to check the roll out switch....... how would I do that?

Any other suggestions

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Turn power off..

remove blower door

remove red wire from "heat" and black wire from L1...hook them together by inserting a small nail or paper clip into the end of each wire terminal...loosely tape replace door and turn power on...tell me if motor runs.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok ......... thank god for wiring schematics!

I did as you said and the fan did come on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I did connect the wires and the fan immediately came on. What should I do next?

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

This means it was not the motor you smelled ....it was likely a severe burn out on the circuit board. Or the old motor was bad also and took out the circuit board or vice versa. You will need to swap the board out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Billy,

so, the family has been without heat for.... oh about 13 days now. The repair company came out and agreed the board is bad.... Ordered a replacement board and came to install and incorrect board would not work. (indicated that an updated board was available). Famliy had to leave on business the next day. Repair tech went back to parts company and informed of the wrong board. They did more checking and found that indeed the pcb had been updated. Ordered new board. This AM tech came again and board was incorrect again. His comment was "the boss" was going to call me tomorrow and talk about my options.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I document the board and connections and look for a bad part and replace.

2. Does a company not support a furnace built in 1993?

Do you have any other suggestions............ needless to say, although my family is hearty camping individuals all year round in nw oregon, she is tired of this!

Thank you.

Brad

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

The board was upgraded but nothing that changes operation at all.

I am curious as to what the new board is doing...is it still coding 33? If so it may still have an open limit which we can address.

This is a basic unit and not hard to fix. My bet is the tech is missing something.

Is the board a HK42FZ014?...what is current code?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The tech has come out twice with the wrong board and says he can't install it due to fit. I appreciate you help. I will be sending you some more money!

You wouldn't be in Portland, or... would you?

My thought was to draw out all wire connections on the board, take some digital pics and remove the board to inspect it and get the part number. Match it to your number and order it myself online.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Is there currently a board in the unit?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the tech has not removed it.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Can you get the number from the board that starts with HK*** or any other number.

And what happens when unit is turned on with current board in it? Or is it not hooked up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The only number on the board on front and back is: 1XXX-XX-XXXXA

Below that is printed HSCI. I would assume they manufacture the board.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Thank you...do you still have old board?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have it with me now. I took it out.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

IIs there an HK*** number on that board?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I scoured it looking
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Ok, how about this...

I know it is the weathermaker series...but get me the furnace model number from inside upper compartment and I will tell you where to get, how much etc...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I'm back.

The model number is XXXXXXXX-XXXX.

I have attached a couple of pics.

Thanks again.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Thank you..

to verify post a pic of whole board. But my guess is it is this

http://www.gsistore.com/cabrpahkcibo7.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Great....

now...what was the new board doing? or coding? And what board is in the furnace right now?...new or old?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have a new board. We have been trying to find the correct board.

The picture above is the board that I took out and is burnt.

So do you think the above link is the correct board based on the picture?

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Yes I do.

If you are need of heat we can wire blower for constant and then the furnace will kick on and off as it should......just the blower runs as if the thermostat fan switch is in the "on" position.

But that board I showed at the link is correct.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My family would love you if you could help me do that
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Ok..

Install old board. Take the black wire from L1 and cut it about 5-6" from end. Strip those 2 ends...now take the red wire from blower and cut the end off and strip. Now we have 3 stripped ends...the 2 black ends where we cut in 2 and the red wire from the blower motor.

Wire nut these 3 ends together. Now the black wire has the red wire from blower combined into it. Leave the black plugged into L1.

Turn back on and blower will start...then try heat. Tell me what happens.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. We now have temporary heat!

I made a jumper wire (same gauge) so I didn't have to cut the original wires.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Excellent,

I never know how to describe a bypass accurately for the homeowner to do. You did exactly as I would have!

Now we just need to get you the correct board and get it installed.

Billy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You explanation for the bypass made perfect sense to me.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help. Thank you.

I'm ordering the board tomorrow. Have a great night.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome.

I you need assistance with new board just let me know.

Billy