ComfortZone
ComfortZone, HVAC Technician
Experience:  10 years in the HVAC industry.

I have an AO Smith D1036 blower motor for my HVAC unit. I cannot

I have an AO Smith D1036 blower motor for my HVAC unit. I cannot find any drawings for this for hookup. This is a replacement for an older outdated motor and the wires are different. It also has a capacitor.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  ComfortZone replied 3 years ago.

ComfortZone :

The yellow wire is typically for common. Black should be hi speed, blue medium, and red low.

ComfortZone :

So hook that yellow to the nuetral side

ComfortZone :

Is this an indoor or outdoor replacement

Customer:

There is another wire going from the capacitor to a relay

Customer:

indoor blower motor

ComfortZone :

did the old motor hook to the capacitor with 1 wire?

Customer:

No 2 wires

Customer:

There were 2 wires on one side of the cap

Customer:

3 wires total to cap

ComfortZone :

What is the voltage at that relay?

Customer:

Hey I gotta run for now. Can I check back with you a little later?

Customer:

I think 220

ComfortZone :

Sure.

Customer:

OK cool

Customer:

I appreciate your time and help

Customer:

The old motor had a 3 wire hookup. One going to one side of the capacitor and one going to the other side of the capacitor and the other I believe was the common? It was a black wire. There was another wire going from one side of the capacitor to a set of contacts on the control board. Only 3 wires were used on the old motor. It was a 2 speed AO Smith and is no longer being made. The new replacement motor (AO Smith D1036) is a 3 speed reversible motor. Some diagrams that I found show both browns going to the capacitor (for the new motor) and yellow being the neutral and black as the high speed but now I have one too many wires to hook up and need to know where to hook the yellow and where to hook the black. Thanks again for your help!! It is much appreciated!

ComfortZone :

Take the black and hook it to the black. Take the yellow and hook it to the relay. The 2 you have hooked to the capacitor are fine.

Customer:

Works great! Thanks for your help!

ComfortZone, HVAC Technician
Experience: 10 years in the HVAC industry.