Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Beckett AR15 kerosene burning furnace that is about

I have a Beckett AR15 kerosene burning furnace that is about 8 years old . The problem Im having is that I can bleed all the air out of the line with out a problem and then fire up the furnace once I close the bleeder . The furnace will then run with out any problems until it heats the house to the point of where it reaches the proper temp and shuts off . Once the house cools to a point again the furnace will kick back on and cycle properly once again . However apon the third time the furnace tries to kick in and run after the bleeding took place , it will again fire and begin its cycle but will act like it runs out of fuel with about 10 to 15 seconds after the cycle starts . I will again check the bleeder for air and when I do It once again have a small blip of air in the line . Now I have bled as much as 2 full gallons of solid fuel before closing the bleeder to make sure there was no chance of any left over air in the line . Ive also been under my house and traced the line completly to look for a leak or whole . None can be found . Ive taken the pump off and completly cleaned it out of any dirt and put it back together . Nothing seems to fix this and it wont keep the fuel right up to the nozzle like it should . Is there some kind of diaphram or something that Im missing that keeps the fuel from leaking back down the line between cycles . This is driving me crazy . Can you help me . Is the pump going bad ?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

is this a single pipe or 2 pipe system

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes Im sorry it is a single line system and the furnace is a Miller with a beckett burner
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Thank you...you have a vacuum leak on the line somewhere...

Either tank fitting, oil filter, flare nut, at pump etc...

The longer the unit sits it loses prime and sucks air into the system. Start at one end and check every fitting you possibly can.

To verify you can have an oil tech run a vacuum test on the line.

Billy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So is it possible that I wouldnt actually physically see a leak such as fuel leaking from the line or a fitting where it would be leaking air ? , because the line was actually extended about 8 years ago when we added on to our house . The tank had to be moved around 15 foot or so from its original position . The joint had been done with fittings and soldered . I have coated the entire area of the joint with silicone . Outside of this spot ther are no others . The line is attached to the pump and then into the tank and its all one piece .
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

You wont see a leak because it is sucking air in. The breach will draw air instead of leak oil.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok so before I go crawlin back under the house , thers no possible way it could be somthing with the pump ? ( With the pump out of the equation then the line has to be the problem correct .)
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Correct...if it were pump you would not have nice full lengths of liquid...it would be frothy and regular....the symptom you describe is the pump pulls the vacuum to pull oil from tank....then it fires and runs fine....shuts off...and then the vacuum is compromised and slowly sucks an air pocket in. Then on next startup it faults.

You will notice the longer it sets the more air is in line.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeah thats correct , the longer it sits the more air is in the line at the bleeder , I just thought of like a person holding there thumb over the end of a liquid filled straw and when you release some pressure off the straw with your thumb , fluid will begin to leak out of the straw . However , if ther was a hole in the straw 1 inch from the end that was submerged into the fluid wouldnt it still hold the fliud to the point where the hole was in the straw ? I know it would never pull fluid through the line with a hole in it . Thats why Im getting tripped up because the stream I see at the bleeder seems good once the air is out of it . It would seem the stream wouldnt be all that good to me .
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

I see your thoughts....you just have to imagine having a bottle of liquid under a vacuum...if you poke a hole in it it will draw air until it equalizes...but until it equalizes it will still hold the liquid.

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Alright Im going to cut the line in half and shorten it up . Go to a 14 gal plastic tank I use in my garage , put 10 gallons of fuel in it and re- bleed the entire system . This will eleminate the one and only solderd joint in the line . I will get back to you in awhile and let you know if this cures it . Thank you .