gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC

To recap, have a Payne Heat Pump PF4MNA049. My original issue

To recap, have a Payne Heat Pump PF4MNA049. My original issue was that y thermostat died so I bought a new Hunter model 44155C thermostat. When I was instaling the Hunter, I lost the color code, so I asked you. You gave me Red to RC with jumper to RH, Yellow to Y1, Orange to Y/O, Green to G, White to W/B and do not use blue.

The A/C works fine, but when we set the heat, it does not go off when it reaches the setting, it keeps going. We have to turn it off by using the switch.

What can I do to fix it?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 5 years ago.
This is only a single stage heat pump thermostat. You can not use the b/w terminal. Also make sure you have a switch that says std/hp. Make sure it is on HP. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does that mean I need a different thermostat?

You can use this thermostat you just will not have backup heat. Really need to get new thermostat. You need 2 stage heat 1 stage cool heat pump thermostat for you to have backup heat and emergency heat. Russ