BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Rheemglas Fury Gas Water Heater Model# XXXXX I

I have a Rheemglas Fury Gas Water Heater Model# XXXXX I am getting white particles in my bathtub when hot water comes out. I checked out my sink in the bathroom also by taking off the screen and there were particles there also (only with the hot water.) Is this a sign I need a new water heater? I heard it could be a disintregrating dip tube or sediment buildup. The white particles are different sizes and almost look plastic in nature (shavings?) but they could be lime/calcium buildup too I suppose. They don't breakdown when rubbed between my fingers. Any suggestions?

It is possible to be dip tube, but that would be accompanied by a loss of hot water.

more likely the tank has accumulated sediment and mineralization and is now breaking down as the tank heats. Unfortunately there is no fix and the tank must be replaced.

Billy