Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Hi, I have an Amana 80 SSE gas furnace that will not start

Customer Question

Hi, I have an Amana 80 SSE gas furnace that will not start this morning, no fan, no heat, and the furnac eitself does not kick on when the thermostat calls for it. Is there some easy troubleshooting I can go through before making the call?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

John :

check for a 3 or 5 amp fuse on the control board, may be blown causing system to do nothing

Customer :

Will check that now. Stay tuned.

Customer :

I looked all around the control board and do not see a fuse that is accessible. is there a cover that needs to be removed from the control panel to expose the fuse?

John :

You may have to remove a cover on the control board to see the fuse, look around the control board area as well as around the power inlet area...those are the most likely areas to find a fuse.....note that there are some models that have no fuse from the factory. On another note...be sure that the blower door is on securely....there is a door switch there that will also kill the furnace.

Customer :

ok, no fuse. I did play with the door switch and the unit has come on. Are the switches known to go bad and can they be replaced?

John :

yes they are known to go bad from time to time...you can most likely find that part online...just google blower door switch for your make and model furnace.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

The unit can lockout due to pressure switch, limit or other safety. Pressing the door switch in as the same as turning power off and "resetting" the unit.

There is a chance you have something else going on and the unit locked out until reset.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, there was no indication light blinking when I reset, is there a way to run a quick diagnostic. Heat running fine for the last half hour or so.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Do you have the model number of the furnace. I realize it is the 80 series but I can be more specific with the model.

John could also be right on the money with door switch. I have just had some come back after replacing the door switch just to find all I did was reset.