Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

Have a new Burnham Alliance hot water tank. Having trouble

Have a new Burnham Alliance hot water tank. Having trouble hooking up new heat sensor, followed instructions. Orginal Boilermate had a 2 wire hook up with a 4 wire zone valve, 2 for the valve motor & 2 for something else inside to box(red wires). How do i wire the new sensor unit.

Thank You
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

What do you have for a zone valve? Do you have the manual? the wiring instructions are pretty clear. What's hanging you up?

I have a 4 wire zone valve. I hooked up as per manual and it will not open or fire boiler. The manual says to put neutral on the post in the sensor box that is labeled ground.

I have a 4 wire zone valve yellow & orange to the motor, 2 reds to a switch i guess. I wired as per manual and no valve opening or boiler firing. In the sensor control box were the manual said to hook up neutral it labeled ground. Should this wire go directly to a ground.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
That's not what the wiring diagram that I am looking at shows for a 4 wire zone valve. I'm assuming this is a Honeywell zone valve. The red leads from the zone valve go to the thermostat terminals on your operating control (aquastat/relay). 24v neutral goes to the right hand 24v terminal on the water heater control and to 1 yellow lead on the zone valve. The 24v hot goes to the other 24v terminal on the WH control. There is a jumper from this terminal to the right hand terminal on the pump/TT terminals on WH control, the other WH pump/TT goes to the other zone valve yellow lead.