M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician

my goodman furnace the light is blinking 4 times it wont

my goodman furnace the light is blinking 4 times it wont fire up whats the skinny
Category: HVAC
Expert:  M Oglesby replied 3 years ago.

M Oglesby :

Hello I am here to assist you.

M Oglesby :

Is the Blower Motor fan running?

Customer:

yes blowers running igniter is new

Customer:

furnace just runs igniter doesnt get hot normally in past when igniter has gone out it still tried firing and you could here and smell gas as it was firing up it doesnt do that now it just runs constantly

Customer:

little red light on computer or brain whatever blinks 4 times at a time

M Oglesby :

Remove the furnace door panels and look on the back of them to find out what the 4 flash LED troubleshooting code is indicating.

Customer:

open limit switch wow im stupid

M Oglesby :

There are two kinds of limiit switches

Customer:

how do i find that

M Oglesby :

The first that we will try to locate is the Main Limit Switch.

M Oglesby :

We need to bypass it.

M Oglesby :

It is a rectangular or square looking device that has two wires attached to it. It is usually located inside the furnace cabinet and sits on the back panel wall just above the gas valve.

M Oglesby :

Locate it and let me know when you find it.

Customer:

got it

Customer:

next

M Oglesby :

Remove the two wires from the Main limit switch and attach or jump them together very good.

M Oglesby :

While attached, attempt to turn the heat on. Let me know if the heat comes on or not.

Customer:

yes it fired

Customer:

pull that piece and go buy it and will it hurt to let it run like this freezing in here 52 degrees

M Oglesby :

That means you need a new Main Limit switch.

M Oglesby :

It is not recommended to run the furnace with the limit bypassed.

M Oglesby :

It is too risky.

M Oglesby :

Pull the Main Limit Switch off and go and buy a new one.

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT if you are satisfied with this answer. Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated!

Customer:

how does it disconnect i got it pulled out 2 big black wires no way to disconnect

Customer:

ok i see

Customer:

didnt want to break it

M Oglesby :

It is very easy. Should only be 2 screws that hold it.

Customer:

whats my bill thats the only part of this i didnt understand

M Oglesby :

Just hit the ACCEPT button which will be a payment of $15. But I would appreciate a bonus if you could.

M Oglesby :

Keep in mind, that I just saved you $200

Customer:

hey buddy this was very helpful seein how i havent had heat since last night and couldnt get no one here till tonight i think a tip is fair our you guys allowed to get them

M Oglesby : Sure. If you hit ACCEPT, they will tell you how to leave a bonus.
Customer:

im a roofing contractor i know u saved me at least a 100

M Oglesby : Also make sure you change your filter.
Customer:

hittn it now and thank u

M Oglesby : Thankyou
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience: Universally Certified HVACR Technician