Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

I have a rheem criterion II rgph-07eauer. the pilot light

I have a rheem criterion II rgph-07eauer. the pilot light isn't igniting. I tried to turn gas valve to off for 5 minutes and then back to on. turned back on electricity to unit, but still no ignition of pilot light. how do I get the pilot light to ignite?
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! I'm showing this furnace as having a glow type ignitor (hot surface ignition is the proper term). Is ignitor even glowing when furnace tries to light? If not, can you smell the gas or hear hissing coming through the burners? It may just be a bad ignitor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ignitor doesn't appear to be glowing. Can't smell gas, but do hear hissing sound. The hissing sounds directly follows a clicking sound as if the unit has moved into ignition mode, but nothing ignites... just the hissing sound for a short period of time.
Sounds like a bad ignitor. I'd recommend replacement.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what's the cheapest way to do that? I suppose I'll have to have a service technician come out to the house?
Or you can purchase ignitor online and replace yourself. There are many websites that sell Rheem parts. When you replace, be very careful with ignitor as they are fragile and don't touch ignitor part with your hands as this will cause it to go out prematurely.