gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC

How to access the Trane XE90 furnace flame sensor?

How do you access the flame sensor on the Trane XE90 furnace? It seems to be in the burner section, but I'm not sure how to get in there. My furnace begins its start-up process, but then clicks off before fully igniting. It sounds like it could likely be a dirty sensor, but I am not sure how to get to it to clean it.

Make : Trane
Model : XE90

Already Tried:
I have shut down the furnace and gone through the start-up procedure. The burners light and the blower is running, but the furnace fails to fully ignite. I found the sensor wire, but do not know how to access the sensor itself. Can't find an external access point on the burner section.

You w ill have to pull front cover off of the burners. It is the cover with the sight glass. Once access the sensor pull and clean with sandpaper. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've tried that, but was unable to get the cover off. Do you know which screws I have to remove to get the panel off?
Get the model number of furnace. It will inside top cover on side and I will pull manual. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Model # TUX060C936C1

The flame sensor is inserted inot burner from bottom 1/4 or 5/16 screw holds it in place. If you need to access burner. The screws along bottom can be taken out and the cover will pivot up. It slides into a groove on one side. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no screw on the bottom of the burner box. Is it on the interior? Do I have to open the burner cover to access the screw?
Some models insert from bottom. Does the wire for sensor connect on inside of burner chamber or on outside. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The wire feeds into the interior of the burner chamber through a small opening on the side. I assume it is connected to the sensor on the inside.
Do you see the screws on burner cover on one side. Russs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are four screws along the bottom of the front of the burner cover. Those are the only ones I can see. I've tried removing those already, but was not able to budge the cover.

The cover sometimes is hard to get loose. You will have to work a small screwdriver under cover and gently pry loose bottom. Russ

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It worked! Thanks so much!
great. Russ