MagiicAir
MagiicAir, HVAC Technician
Experience:  20+ years Commercial and Residential Systems
27337131

Honeywell thermostat does not hold the set temperature

Hi, I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat and can't find my book on it. When we moved in here in 2007 I set all the times the previous owner had to 62 and we put it up when we need to. Lately when we return home (we live in Maine) the furnace is running and the house is toasty with no one home. I am trying to get rid on the 70 that seems to be set on Monday and some other days apparently. Don't know why all of a sudden it's doing this unless my husband hit a button by mistake when turning up the heat. I can't figure out how to get the 70 back down to 62.

First thing I need to know is exactly which thermostat you have? Can you describe what it looks like and I’ll see if I can assist. Does it say Vison Pro or something similar on its face? Any help here would help me determine what stat you have, as Honeywell has many programmable stats and different settings for each one. Take a look at this page and see if you notice a stat similar to the one you have:

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/SummaryList.htm

Customer:
It's a write kind of rectangular shape with only Honeywell on the front and to the left is a small screen that shows the current room temp, day, and right now it's says temporary because I bring it up at night to 70. Also to the right are 4 buttons, forming kind of a square just to describe where they are. There is a "hold" square button (left), a "select" button (right) and "Up arrow" button (top) and a "down arrow" button (bottom). At the bottom left is Fan (auto/on) and on the lower right side is "System" cool / off / heat. The selector button is on heat (we don't have a/c). The Fan is set to auto. That's the only description I can give you.

MagiicAir :
Did you notice any of the stats on the page I gave you that looked similar to what you have?

Customer :
It's a 2003 thermostatPine Grove Manufactured home. It does show all the days when I play with the buttons and I did have the book when we first moved in and I just set everything to 62 and move it up and down as we need it. We are coming home at night,now with the home very toasty at 70 and no one here all day to enjoy it. When I would push select and the other buttons, I could move the temp. but it would not stay and would pop right back to where it was. It puts the heat up to 70 at 9:47 a.m. while we are gone. Not sure yet if it's every day, but think so. We have been accusing each other of not turning down the heat and today we both were there when the heat was turned down, so I investigated and found out the temp.have been messed with (probably, accidently as my husband has MS and his fingers move without his control). Just need to make sure we aren't heating when we don't need to. I need to get all the days and all the times put back to 62 degrees. Need guidance on which button to hit and what to do step by step. Thank you so much!

MagiicAir :
Does this thermostat have batteries? Were you able to see any stat on the page I sent earlier, that looked similar to your’s?

Customer :
Similar to the RTH2510B, but buttons are all on the same side and like I said forming a square in shape. These 7-day programmables are all newer than mine.

MagiicAir :
This thermostat should be able to pull off the sub-base. Gently pull on both sides and wiggle it and see if the thermostat will release from the base. On the back of that thermostat should be the model number.

Customer:
Okay I pulled it off, yikes! I see batteries, but the base is still on,so I would say it's wired with a battery backup?There is nothing significant on the pc. It has a switch that says E and F. It's set to F. There is a number in small print on the base that is: 8002, if that helps and a bunch of letters going down the sides which must all relate to the wiring of this thing.

MagiicAir :
E and F refers to gas or electric.
Is thatthe only number you see, nothing like a TH or RTH number?

Customer:
On the left side, going straight down near where the wires are screwed are individual letters. Left side: G RC R W 4. Right side is: B O. I don't think they have any significance. Don't know why there isn't a model number on this thing. Probably was in the book. I know when I was shown how to change the auto times for the heat adjustment it seemed really easy, but I don't know whether select or hold does it,and those are my only two choices. I should be able to remember this, but it's been 3 years since we moved here.

MagiicAir :
Those are just the wiring locations, not what we are looking for. This is what I suggest.
If it indeed has batteries, then remove them and let them set for 5-10 minutes out of the stat. This should revert the stat back to default settings and hold is the button to maintain a certain temp., until you hit the hold button again.

Customer:
Nothing like TH or RTH at all!

MagiicAir :
Ok, then try what I suggested, and use the hold feature to maintain the temp. you want. Without the exact model number, I really can’t help too much. I'm sorry.

Customer:

I'm sorry but there is no model number.

It's probably on the back of the base which I am not pulling off the wall.

MagiicAir :
The hold button will do this for you.
No, the back base will have a different part number.

Customer:
The hold button pressed once, will set the temp for the time showing. Is that what you are saying?

MagiicAir :
Yes, and to change it hit the hold again, that releases it.
The simplest way other than this is, to go to home depot and buy a Vison Pro 8000 series stat. These are extremely easy to set and all the settings are on a touch face rather than button, a very good stat and even simpler to make changes to settings.
What it sounds like to me is that, the stat is reverting back to the programmed settings regardless of what you set the stat at.
'Hold' will fix this.

Customer:
I will try it, but it does revert back. I'll give it another try. I will be a while with it probably and I surely hope I can get the cover plate back on!!!!

Hi, I think I'm all set. I was double hitting the hold button. I do see that I seem to not be able to get one temp.back to 62, but maybe because the days are in the right order, it might be tonight's temp. setting and hopefully all are now set back to 62. I won't know until I get home tomorrow and see if the house is toasty, which would be nice because we are in subzero temps. right now. I will look into the vision Pro 8000. It sounds a lot simpler than this one. So I will need an electrician to come and remove the old and put in the new one? Is that timely and $$$?

MagiicAir :
No, it comes with very simple step by step instructions and you can do it yourself quite easily. It’s designed for a homeowner to do it themselves.

Customer:
One more important thing,my furnace is no longer going and my temp has dropped 2 degrees in several minutes. I went and looked at the stat and it has hold on it and something isn't working right.

MagiicAir :
No difficulty..
Be patient, those thermostats have a time delay up to 15 minutes.

Customer:
Why is this happening, because I pulled it out of the wall?
Of all nights to have the furnace kick off.

MagiicAir :
Yes, power was disconnected whichis normal. It’s designed to protect the air conditioner primarily but works on both sides.

Customer:
My husband just told me that the furnace just switched on. Hey, if I set the temp to 73 on these stats, will it stay for just so long or, will it stay until I turn it down to 62?

MagiicAir :
If you set the hold, it will stay at the temp it’s at. That maintains the temp regardless of time.

Customer:
Ok, thank you for all your help.

MagiicAir, HVAC Technician
Experience: 20+ years Commercial and Residential Systems