MagiicAir
MagiicAir, HVAC Technician
Experience:  20+ years Commercial and Residential Systems
27337131

Hi, I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat and cant find

Hi, I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat and can't find my book on it. When we moved in here in 2007 I set all the times the previous owner had to 62 and we put it up when we need to. Lately when we return home (we live in Maine) the furnace is running and the house is toasty with no one home. I am trying to get rid on the 70 that seems to be set on Monday and some other days apparently. Don't know why all of a sudden it's doing this unless my husband hit a button by mistake when turning up the heat. I can't figure out how to get the 70 back down to 62.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  MagiicAir replied 3 years ago.

MagiicAir :

ok first thing i need to know is exactly which thermostat you have. Can you describe to me what it looks like and ill see if i can assist

MagiicAir :

does it say Vison Pro or something similar on its face?

MagiicAir :

any help here would help me determine what stat you have as honeywell has many programmable stats and different settings for each one.

MagiicAir :

take a look at this page and see if you notice a tstat similar to the one you have:

Customer:

It's a write kind of rectangular shape with only Honeywell on the front and to the left is a small screen that shows the current room temp, day, and right now it's says temporary because I bring it up at night to 70. Also to the right are 4 buttons forming kind of a square just to describe where they are. There is a "hold" square button (left) a "select" button (right) and and "Up arrow" button (top) and a "down arrow" button (bottom). At the bottom left is Fan (auto/on) and on the lower right side is "System" cool / off / heat. The selector button is on heat (we don't have a/c). The Fan is set to auto. That's the only description I can give you.

MagiicAir :

did you notice any of the tstats on the page i gave you that looked similar to what you have?

Customer:

It's a 2003 I would assume as this is a 2003 Pine Grove Manufactured home. It does show all the days when I play with the buttons and I did have the book when we first moved in and I just set everything to 62 and move it up and down as we need it. We are coming home at nite now with the home very toasty at 70 and no one here all day to enjoy it. When I would push select and the other buttons I could move the temp but it would not stay and would pop right back to where it was. It puts the heat up to 70 every a.m. at 9:47 a.m. while we are gone. Not sure yet if it's every day but think so. We have been accusing each other of not turning down the heat and today we both were there when the heat was turned down so I investigated and found out the temps have been messed with (probably accidently as my husband has MS and his fingers move as they want without his control). Just need to make sure we aren't heating when we don't need to. I need to get all the days and all the times put back to 62 degrees. Need guidance on which button to hit and what to do step by step. Thank you so much!

MagiicAir :

does this tstat have batteries?

MagiicAir :

and were you able to see any stat on the page i sent earlier that looked similar to yours?

Customer:

Similar to the RTH2510B but buttons are all on the same side and like I said forming a square in shape. These 7-day programmables are all newer than mine.

MagiicAir :

ok let me look

MagiicAir :

hang on

MagiicAir :

ok this thermostat should be able to pull off the subbase. gently pull on both sides and wiggle it and see if the thermostat will release from the base

Customer:

okay hold on

MagiicAir :

on the back of that tstat should be the model number

Customer:

okay I pulled it off, yikes! I see batteries but the base is still on the so I would say it's wired with a battery backup?? They is nothing significant on the pc. I have in my hand . It has a switch that says E and F. It's set to F. There is a number in small print on the base that is: 8002 if that helps and a bunch of letters going down the sides which must all relate to the wiring of this thing.

MagiicAir :

e and f refers to gas or electric

MagiicAir :

just a sec lemme see if i can find something

MagiicAir :

ok and thats the only number you see, nothing like a TH or RTH number?

Customer:

hold on

Customer:

Okay,on the left side going down the side of the base is: G

Customer:

hold on oops

Customer:

On the left side going straight down near where the wires are screwed are individual letters. Left side: G RC R W 4

MagiicAir :

those are just the wiring locations, not what we are looking for sorr

MagiicAir :

ok this is what i suggest

Customer:

Right side is: B O. I don't think they have any significance. Don't know why there isn't a model number on this thing. Probably was in the book. I know when I was shown how to change the auto times for the heat adjustment it seemed really easy but I don't know whether select or hold does it and those are my only two choices. I should be able to remember this but it's been 3 years since we moved here.

MagiicAir :

if it indeed has batteries, then remove them and let them set for 5-10 minutes out of the stat. This should revert the stat back to default sttings. and Hold is the button to maintain a certain temp until you hit the hold button again

Customer:

Nothing like TH or RTH at all!

MagiicAir :

ok then try what i suggested, and use the hold feature to maintain the temp you want

MagiicAir :

without the exact model number i really cant help too much im sorry

Customer:

It has imprinted by the screws, do not remove screws and by the battery case too! I see what you are trying to do to reset but all I really need to know is if the select or the hold button will lock in the temp for that time of day? Can you figure that out?

Customer:

I'm sorry but there is no model number.

Customer:

It's probably on the back of the base which I am not pulling off the wall.

MagiicAir :

the hold button will do this for you

MagiicAir :

no the back base will have a different part number

Customer:

The hold button pressed once will set the temp for the time showing. Is that what you are saying?

MagiicAir :

yes

MagiicAir :

and to change it hit the hold again, that releases it

MagiicAir :

the simplest way other than this is to go to home depot and buy a Vison Pro 8000 series stat. these are extremely easy to set and all the settings are on a touch face rather than buttone

MagiicAir :

a very good stat and even simpler to make changes to settings

MagiicAir :

what it sounds like to me is that the tstat is reverting back to the programmed settings regardless of what you set the stat at.

MagiicAir :

hold will fix this

Customer:

Sorry I lost power to my laptop. Think I overheated it laying it on the bed...oops! Okay I'm reading what you wrote.

Customer:

I will try it but it does revert back. I'll give it another try. I will be a while with it probably and I sure hope I can get the cover plate back on!!!! Do you want to hold on or what?

MagiicAir :

ill be here for a bit longer ys

Customer:

Okay hold on!

Customer:

Hi, I think I'm all set. I think I was double hitting the hold button. I do see that I seem to not be able to get one temp back to 62 but maybe because the days are in the right order, it might be tonite's temp setting and hopefully all are now set back to 62. I won't know until I get home tomorrow and see if the house is toasty which would be nice because we are in subzero temps right now. I will look into the vision Pro 8000. It sounds a lot simpler than this one. So I will need an electrician to come and remove the old and put in the new one? Is that timely and $$$?

MagiicAir :

no it comes with very simple step by step instructions and you can do it yourself quite easily

MagiicAir :

its designed for a homeowner to do themself

Customer:

One more important thing. My furnace is no longer going and my temp has dropped 2 degrees in several minutes. I went and looked at the tstat and it has hold on it and something isn't working right.

MagiicAir :

no difficulty

MagiicAir :

be patient, those thermostats have a time delay

MagiicAir :

up to 15 minutes

Customer:

Why is this happening, because I pulled it out of the wall?

Customer:

Of all nites to have the furnace kick off.

MagiicAir :

yes, power was disconnected

MagiicAir :

this is normal

MagiicAir :

its designed to protect the air conditioner primarily but works on both sides

Customer:

My husband just told me the furnace just came back on. Hey if I set the temp to 73 on these tstats will it stay for just so long or will it stay until I turn it back down to 62?

MagiicAir :

if you set the hold it will stay at the temp its at

Customer:

Does that reset this time slot for 73 though

MagiicAir :

that maintains the temp regardless of time

Customer:

Ok, thank you for all your help. I think we will be investing in a more user friendly tstat. I appreciate it and i guess I now need to hit the accept button for you, right!

MagiicAir :

if youre satisfied with my answers yes. and you still can contact me later if you need to

MagiicAir :

up to 30 days i believe it is

Customer:

Thank you and i appreciate that. Yes, up to 30 days! Great! Goodnight!

MagiicAir :

you are most welcome

MagiicAir, HVAC Technician
Experience: 20+ years Commercial and Residential Systems