gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC

My aux heat strips are not coming on when the system calls

My aux heat strips are not coming on when the system calls for them. The aux light comes on, but contactor does not pull in.
Thermostat is a Honeywell y594g1252 with subbase Q674f 1212.
Wired as follows: W3: nothing W2: white G: green R: red X: blue L: nothing E: brown Y: yellow O: orange

It may have J wire running thru heat relayl Ther should be switch on thermostat that saysa el/gas. Flip to ele. Russ

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no such switch on the stat.

left side has: auto/on for fan

right side has:off/cool/auto/heat/emer

BTW this unit has been installed and running for 5yrs and I've just realized that the strips are not coming on. I am really trying to determine if the stat is bad-or wired wrong. I'm satisfied that the strips are working when powered up.

We just had the coldest weather since installation, so it may have been wrong all along.

What is model of thermostat. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

NOTE it is listed in original question. Here it is again.

Note also that I powered up the strips manually by applying 24v to the contactor coil brown wire. he contactor pulled in, the fan came on, and immediately every smoke detector in the entire house began to go off- as lint was being burned from the strips.

Just need to wiring diagram for furnace. Can I have model number of air handler. Also try fan to on position and turn up heat to see if it works. Russ

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nordyne split system heat pump.

Fan in on position and turning up heat does not make strips come in.

this is the print for the heat coils

@ work still looking for the handler model #

If you see the limit switch in diagram. Check for 24 volts across brown and grey. Across switch. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

24v not present across the limit.

If you jumper across the W or Brown and Red does heat come on. Russ