Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

I have a burnham boiler the pilot will not stay lit. I have

I have a burnham boiler the pilot will not stay lit. I have put a new thermocouple in back in Nov 2010. 2 days ago the boilers pilot lite would not stay lit so i put a new thermocouple in. The pilot lite will not stay lit, for the heat to work I got to keep liting the pilot. I did put a 2nd thermocouple in yesterday and the same thing, but it work all day but when I got up today the pilot was out. I also tookthe aluminum tube off and its clear. Can you help me out.
Paul Lorusso
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Customer:

thanks

Rickheatdoc :

Give me a minute

Rickheatdoc :

If the pilot goes out (when you are relighting it) after you take your finger off the button on the gas valve then you need to replace the thermo-couple.

If you can’t re-light the pilot or it goes out after you have walked away then you need to clean the pilot burner orifice. You do this by disassembling the pilot burner and passing a tiny wire through the pilot orifice hole. You must do this even if you can see daylight through the hole.

Customer:

no the pilot lite stays lit till the heat or the boiler turn off at the tem its set at.

Rickheatdoc :

Sounds like you need to clean out the pilot burner orifice

Rickheatdoc :

at least that's the first thing to try

Rickheatdoc :

also, do you have a strong pilot?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

whats the pilot orifice

Customer:

or wheres is it

Rickheatdoc :

you need to remove the pilot burner

Rickheatdoc :

the orifice is a small thimble shaped object that will either be on the end of the pilot tubing when you disconnect it from the pilot burner or the orifice will stay in the pilot burner and you will need to carefully poke it out

Customer:

the aluminum tube

Rickheatdoc :

Yes, the aluminum tube

we use tiny drill bits to clean this but you can use a very fine wire

Rickheatdoc :

do not enlarge the hole in the orifice

Customer:

i did that and its clear

Rickheatdoc :

If this doesn't work you may need to replace the gas control valve

Rickheatdoc :

no not the tubing

Customer:

at the end of the tube

Rickheatdoc :

the thimble shaped object that's inside the pilot burner at the end of the aluminum tubing

Customer:

ok

Rickheatdoc :

You must pass something through the hole even if you can see daylight through it

Customer:

now why is it that the boiler work all day yesterday then when i got up today it was not

Rickheatdoc :

No way I can tell

Rickheatdoc :

clogged pilot orifice problems can be intermittent

Rickheatdoc :

so can problems with the gas valve

Customer:

what if thats not the prom

Rickheatdoc :

then you could have a faulty gas valve

Customer:

ok

Customer:

ill try that see if it works

Rickheatdoc :

Do you have any more questions?

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

no

Rickheatdoc :

Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer

Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.