KenCan
KenCan, HVAC Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience, Nate certified, EPA certified, TX state license
18042576

I have a replacement control board surelight 83M00. My furnace

I have a replacement control board surelight 83M00. My furnace is a lennox 80uhg. The replacement board has a circuit breaker, the old board had an onboard fuse. In the kit there is a 9 pin to 12 pin wiring harness that I'm suppose to plug the circuit breaker into however there is no 9 pin connector in the furnace. How do I connect this circuit breaker?

KenCan :

This kit is used on many furnaces. If you have a 12 pin harness on your old board all you need to do is plug it straight into the new board you will not need the 12 pin to 9pin wiring harness.

Customer:

Then I don't need to install the circuit breaker?

KenCan :

Is there a fuse on the transformer?

Customer:

no the fuse was on the old board

KenCan :

You will put this fuse off of the 24 volt blue wire on the transformer.

KenCan :

Let me know if you do not understand.

Customer:

ok there is a blue wire coming off the tranformer going to the 12 pin connector. If I take the blue wire from the transformer and connect it to the circuit breaker, do I take another wire to plug into the other side of the circuit breaker and reconnect to transformer?

KenCan :

Yes. Voltage in and voltage out.

KenCan :

On your old board was it a 12 pin harness as well?

Customer:

Yes it is. I think I have it. The connector on the blue wire from the transformer isn't big enough so I can just clip it off and change to bigger connector correct?

KenCan :

Yes.

Customer:

Ok I think I've got it. I've changed them before but this one was a little tricky with the circuit breaker.

KenCan :

You just want to have some kind of protection for the board and this 3 amp fuse will provide it.

KenCan :

So to recap.

KenCan :

You are breaking the blue wire off the transformer and going to the fuse.

KenCan :

Then out of the fuse to the 12 pin blue wire.

Customer:

got it. Thank you.

KenCan :

What was wrong with the old board?

Customer:

I'm going to go give your test a try and I'l be back

KenCan :

KenCan :

I will check back later if you have anymore questions. I need to sign off for an hour or so.

KenCan :

Do you still need help?

Customer:

Hi there. Worked for about 15min. It's not the control board. What a way to find that out.

Customer:

I guess I'm gonna have to call in the professional. I don't dare to do anything else for fear of cutting off fingers or electrocuting myself. How do I send funds to you for the help?

KenCan :

You just push the accept button. Do you want to continue to trouble shoot?

Customer:

I think it's the blower motor. All lights were flashing as they should but there was a scraping sound when the blower kicked in. It ran for 5min and then just a high pitch buzz could be heard.

Customer:

I thought the hvac tech said he replaced the blower but I'm looking at the receipt and it says blower psc. Is that the same as the blower?

Customer:

are you still there?

KenCan :

Yes

KenCan :

Blower PSC can be the same as a blower motor

KenCan :

Did he put in a capacitor?

KenCan :

What happens when you put to fan only?

Customer:

The capacitor looks new. It has the same high pitched buzz.

KenCan :

You probably need to verify with your technician what motor he put in this furnace. How long ago was installed?

Customer:

Even with the fan it doesn't seem to blow. The psc was installed on 1/14/2011. It ran fine for about 2 weeks then started making noise. Then finally quit 2 days ago

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I am going to call the guy back and have him take a look again.

KenCan :

Get him to write down the part number of the blower motor, RPM, and hp (horse power) that he sold you.

KenCan :

Let me know if you need anymore help on this one.

Customer:

Its listed on the receipt as GEN126007

Customer:

I couldn't find it when I search for it online.

KenCan :

As long as the HP, RPM, amp draw, and shaft size are the same as the original its fine.

Customer:

Thanks so much. Have a great nite!