M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician
27079509

I have a honeywell part#sv9541 with indicator light flashing

I have a honeywell part#sv9541 with indicator light flashing 3 times, pressure switch stuck or manual switch in off position, switch is in on position. How would you proceed?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  M Oglesby replied 6 years ago.

M Oglesby :

Hello I am here to assist you.

M Oglesby :

Is this a gas furnace? Where is it located attic or basement?

M Oglesby :

ARe you there?

JACUSTOMER-fmwjmons- :

??I have a honeywell gas valve #sv9541 on my furnace its indicator light is flashing 3 times, stuck pressure switch or manual switch in off position, switch is in on position and i tried disconnecting power and gas and releiving pressure, with no luck.

JACUSTOMER-fmwjmons- :

furnace is gas and in attic, sorry slow typer

M Oglesby :

Make sure the flue vent pipes are not blocked with any snow, debris, birds nest, etc... You may have to go on the roof to check.

M Oglesby :

A blocked flue vent will keep the pressure switch from closing.

M Oglesby :

Let me know what you find.

JACUSTOMER-fmwjmons- :

flue vent clear unit isonly 6yrs old

M Oglesby :

The inducer fan motor is located inside the furnace cabinet and is connected to the flue vent pipes. It has a rubber hose attached to it that connects to a round pressure switch. Remove the top furnace panel door and locate what I just described.

JACUSTOMER-fmwjmons- :

already have

M Oglesby :

Once you have located it, remove the rubber hose and blow through it to make sure it is clear. Also inspect the hose for any breaks or tares in it. Then use a paper clip to clean out the connection at the inducer fan motor very good applying force if necessary. Make sure that the paper clip goes all the way through and touch the fan blades. Replace the hose when finish.

M Oglesby :

Attempt to turn the heat on.  Make sure that the inducer fan motor comes on.  It must be the first thing that comes on.  Let me know if it doesn't.

JACUSTOMER-fmwjmons- :

hose is clear and able to touch fan blades thru fitting still getting no response earlier i by passed pressure switch and still got no response

M Oglesby :

It is very difficult to bypass a pressure switch. Is the inducer fan coming on?

JACUSTOMER-fmwjmons- :

no

M Oglesby :

That is your problem. It sounds like you have a bad inducer fan motor.

M Oglesby :

If the inducer fan motor does not come on, the pressure switch cannot close.

JACUSTOMER-fmwjmons- :

you do not think its the valve?

M Oglesby :

I would advise you to call a technician out to check to see if the inducer fan motor needs to be replaced. They will need to check with a volt meter, to see if the inducer motor is receiving voltage on a call for heat. If it is not receiving voltage, you have a bad control board. If it recieves voltage but does not come on, you have a bad motor.

M Oglesby :

No it is not the valve.

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT if you are satisfied with this answer. If not, I will continue to assist you. Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated!