BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

I have a Trane XE 70 with an ignition system problem. Ive

I have a Trane XE 70 with an ignition system problem. I've read about hot surface ignitors but can't seem to locate that on the actual furnace. I'm hoping to get this running again myself. Ultimately, I'd like to identify the replacement part I need and I'm confident I can go from there. From what I've seen - it looks like I may have some sort of automatic pilot light as opposed to a hot surface ignitor - which is where my confusion is coming in. The component I'm looking at is at the bottom of the unit and fairly far back, with a gas line connection going to it and an orange cord coming from the pilot relight box.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Can you supply me with the actual model number?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sure: TUN09DA948A1
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

You are correct. Your unit does not have a hot surface but a spark. Follow the spark cable from the ignitor box to the pilot.

The ignition box gets 24v and then starts sparking at the pilot while the gas valve emite pilot gas.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Which part would need to most likely be replaced if I have an ignition problem?

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

That is hard to tell. Kind of like "my car wont start, what do I need"?

This could be the ignition box...

the ignition box is not getting power...

a safety is engaged...

If you have a meter to track voltage?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have a voltage meter. I was hoping there was a typical wear part in that chain of parts. I know there are no guarantees. From what I've read it seems the wear point is where the spark is created - which I was expecting to be the hot surface ignitor. Since that's not part of my unit I was hoping for a similar replacement part for my paticular technology.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

To proceed according to part failure put the ignition box first. The pilot assembly is rarely the cause for nonspark conditions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any chance you have a part number for that to make sure I get the correct replacement part?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

I see they used 2 different modules....can you tell me any info from the box the orange cable attaches to?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I might be answering my own question here - not sure if this is actually the ignition box:

Type 5059-41 Pilot Relite

Pri. 25V 60Hz .030 Amps

Trane CAC Pt No. A309149P02

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

Would still need it because of cross refencing for replacement parts.

See here -

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you saying the link goes to the module I need? It doesn't specifically mention my model of furnace.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 years ago.

It is the replacement for your part. Read the parts it replaces and you will see your

5058-41 in the list.