MagiicAir
MagiicAir, HVAC Technician
Experience:  20+ years Commercial and Residential Systems
27337131

I have a Ducane central furnace with a honeywell SV9501H 2409

Customer Question

I have a Ducane central furnace with a honeywell SV9501H 2409 that was converted to LP before it was installed at the house! the unit has a #14 pilot oriface in it and the unit has required the oriface to be cleaned on several occasions over the last 9 years. The question is multi part.
1. The pilot flame is running a yellowish flame but when the unit main burners come on they are a good clean blue flame. is the pilot adjustable on this particular valve.
2. as it is now the burner will kick in for approx. 3-4 minutes and kick back off then you will hear the pilot come on and the main blower wont come back up.
Is there another. avenue I should look such as heat sensors or other. I had a service tech come out yesterday and they would not touch the unit other than to say they would sell me a new one! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  MagiicAir replied 6 years ago.

MagiicAir :

The pilot valve should adjust up by screwing in the adjustment after removing the cover cap. It should be adjusted to the point where the pilot light is blue and not yellowish. If it doesnt, then go to your Ducane dealer and get the proper orifice and replace it. The reason the furnace goes out is that the pilot light apparently does not have enough flame there to keep the flame sensor satisfied. As for the tech that wouldnt touch it... i would be calling another company. He just wants to get himself a commission on the sale and not repair the issue. Either he is not qualified to work on LP gas or just didnt know any better. If the pilot light adjustment doesnt increase, then going to the next size up orifice may be the answer. A welders orifice file will also do this. If you are having to clean out the pilot orifice regularly then obviously there is not enough pressure being supplied to the pilot, thereby causing the burner lock out or failure.

MagiicAir :

if this unit has a flame sensing rod instead of a thermocouple, then i suggest also that you take some steel wool and thoroughly clean this rod until its bright and shiny.

MagiicAir :

This sometimes can cause the failure you speak of

JACUSTOMER-pjex37j3- :

Ok I'm on my way back home to re-install and will advise outcome as well. Thanks for the feedback

MagiicAir :

hello there, is there anything else i can help you with ?

JACUSTOMER-pjex37j3- :

hopefully that'll take care of it!

Expert:  MagiicAir replied 6 years ago.
you are welcome to contact me again at your leisure and thank you!