Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC

I have a trane XL80 2 stage gas furnace, and when I turn the

I have a trane XL80 2 stage gas furnace, and when I turn the head on everything cycles, the ignitor comes on and then the gas valve opens and the burners ignite for a few seconds then shut off. The Flame sensor is new and local HVAC guys have tried 2 differnt control boards on it. They also replaced a limit switch. Any other ideas as to what might be causing this problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 3 years ago.

Rick Mather :

There is something going on with the flame detection. was leads changed from flame rod and was flame rod flame signal checked with millivolt meter

Customer :

yes they changed the flame rod and put a new wire on it as well and check the microamps

Rick Mather :

THe reading came back normal?

Customer :

no it was low

Rick Mather :

Are control board grounded properly

Rick Mather :

Then flame has to adjusted to make it read with stronger signal, check gas pressure

Customer :

yes, they tried the one that was on the furnace after replacing the limit switch, and two others after that and they all did the same thing.

Customer :

and they were all grounded properly

Rick Mather :

flame has to be adjusted with meter on to find proper reading

Rick Mather :

weak signal will not work

Customer :

Flames all look good gas pressure is good, pilot on water heater right next to furnace is fine.

Rick Mather :

Flame rod may have to be bent into flame better

Customer :

That was also tried

Rick Mather :

well I have no magic

Rick Mather :

request question closed and pleae don't accept

Rick Mather :

please

Customer :

yeah the guys here were stumpped too, I just don't want to have to buy a new control board if its not the problem

Customer :

just wanted a second opinion, I will accept you asked everything they did and that was without even seeing the unit. thats good enough for me

Rick Mather :

thank you

Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience: 35 years experience, HVAC