Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My York furnace heat function does not work. The fan works

My York furnace heat function does not work. The fan works and the air conditioner compressor comes on and the furnace fan works with the air conditioner.

The error light flashes green for normal operation. When I set the thermostat to heat the light flashes amber for heat demand.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.

Phil :

Hi,This is risky business, not responsible for damages on your end. We *keep going until *you are happy. I come and go. be patient

Phil :

Do this, lift the cover off the front of the furnace ..the one in the area the gas pile enters at.

Phil :

You will see the gas valve and burner heads..

Phil :

turn the thermostat OFF... wait 5 minutes, then have someone turn the thermostat on again and set for heat while you watch the furnace.

Phil :

tell me what you see and hear.. we can go from there,

Phil :

Just post your reply, I will pick it a bit later, Phil

JACUSTOMER-omisch5r- :

I took the cover off the furnace over the gas valve and the combustion chamber. The furnace combustion chamber ignited and is operating normally. There are three air intake openings on the top of the combustion chamber. Two are plugged per direction. The one that is open is open to the inside area behind the furnace cover. I removed one of the plugs from one of the two openings that exit the furnace to outside the furnace. I plugged the opening that draws air from the area behind the covers. Is this an acceptable answer to my problem if the furnace operates normally? The installation instruction shows a pvc pipe from the chamber opening and exiting the furnace. It does not show where the pvc pipe goes from there. This is a horizontally mounted furnace in my attic and I want to make sure what I did is not a fire hazard or a health hazard ( carbon monoxide ).

Phil :

Hello again, it is imperative that you have this inspected by a licensed and qualied HVAC contractor fast.. from here looks more than a bit problematical.

Phil :

the fact that it seems to work is secondary to the vent safety and other installation issues.

Phil :

Let me know what the inspection turns up... I would appreciate it.. your accept is entirely optional.

Phil :

we can go as long as necessary to insure your system is safe. Phil

JACUSTOMER-omisch5r- :

I will have it check tomorrow by a York HVAC contractor. I want to make sure there are no other irregularities in the installation. I will let you know what the inspection turns up.

JACUSTOMER-omisch5r- :

I had the York technician check the furnace today. What I did yesterday was not unsafe. Resolution to the problem is to replace a "stuck open" pressure switch. The pressure switch has a recall notice so no charge for the part but labor costs to install. The technician also checked some of the other apparent install irregularities and found no major problems. A call to the York technical support group verified the install set up. The install instruction manual is visually unclear in some hose routing so the technician is requesting additional details.

JACUSTOMER-omisch5r- :

I hit enter when I just wanted to say thank you for the check the furnace suggestion. That was how I was able to identify how to get the furnace operating yesterday. For future reference regarding York furnaces there is also a recall on the exhaust pump for excess noise.