Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations

My goodman gas furnace just stopped running this morning. I

My goodman gas furnace just stopped running this morning. I checked the thermostat and took off the door and turned it off and on at the fuse. It makes noise but does not run. I think it has an auto pilot so I cannot light it with a match.This is the first time in 3 years that this has happened. The temperature went down to zero this morning in pittsburgh pa.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Matthew replied 3 years ago.

Matthew :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you today.

Matthew :

If you look inside the furnace behind the top door there will be a model number. If you could get me this number it will help a great deal with helping you through some troubleshooting to see if there is something minor going on that we can take care and if not we can at the very least narrow it down to what part may need to be replaced.

JACUSTOMER-n9fdvvgy- :

The number of the furnace is gemini 36g22y It has an ignition and not a pilot light. It also has an on-off switch.

Matthew :

that is the gas valve number. the model number of the furnace should be on a data plate somewhere on the furnace body inside.

JACUSTOMER-n9fdvvgy- :

gks90703bxad

Matthew :

Okay lets start with what it is or isn't doing in the ignition sequence

Matthew :

the sequence goes like this. inducer draft motor comes on, this pulls in the pressure switch, the igniter glows red, burners come on, flame is sensed, blower comes on.

Matthew :

turn the thermostat to call for heat then go to the furnace and cycle the high voltage switch off then back on and tell me what it does or doesn't do in this sequence.

Matthew :

When/if it fails to light find the blinking LED on the control board and count the flash sequence.

JACUSTOMER-n9fdvvgy- :

I have been all day working with this. I have a sick wife .I called the installer but have not heard from him. I have been sleeping since i last replied. I did not get my normal nap today. When I did what you suggested,it did none of the things you said. I have both the top door and the bottom door off and I accidently touched the ring on the blower on the top and got only a buzzing after I flipped the switch.The red led did not blink. I did think I saw the led once light when I flipped the ignition off and on earlier in the day. When i flipped the switch on now with the bottom door on, I still get the buzz. (The instructions on the bottom door reads "keep the door closed except when servicing"). Thanks for the help.

Matthew :

It sounds like the inducer motor is not getting energized by the control board. Do you have a volt meter?

Matthew :

You can keep the door off to see what the LED is doing you just have to hold in on the door safety switch so there is power to the unit when the bottom door is taken off power is cut because this door switch is no longer pushed in.

JACUSTOMER-n9fdvvgy- :

Thank you. Go ahead. Not at this time. I am a do it youselfer but not lately in my old age.

Matthew :

We would need to determine if the inducer draft motor is getting 120v or not.

Matthew :

Take a wire and make a jumper that connects the R terminal on the board with the W terminal on the board and see if the inducer fires up then. Remember to hold the door switch in when you do this.

Matthew :

after you install the jumper I mean. Hold the door switch in after the jumper is installed.

JACUSTOMER-n9fdvvgy- :

tried a working thermostat switch but that did not work either. I have switched back to the former one to no avail.

Matthew :

I'm sorry then without a volt meter to test voltage at the board and to the inducer there isn't much more I can help you do. Your not getting a blink code on the LED?

JACUSTOMER-n9fdvvgy- :

I could not get the jumper on but when i held the door switch in I did get an led sequence of 3 blinks at a time

JACUSTOMER-n9fdvvgy- :

Thank you so very much. I feel better ,now.

Matthew :

Ok the pressure switch isn't closing which is because the inducer draft motor isn't coming on to close it.

Matthew :

So you either do not have 120v going to the inducer motor and the control board is bad or you do have 120v to the motor and the inducer motor is bad.

JACUSTOMER-n9fdvvgy- :

Then i guess i have to have someone come in to d a job on it?

Matthew :

I'm afraid so

JACUSTOMER-n9fdvvgy- :

Thanks for the help.

Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience: 14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations