Electrifier
Electrifier, Mechanical Inspector
Experience:  24 years as a Mechanical Inspector and years designing and building car wash equipment
13036330

I have a Quadra-Fire Castile Pellet insert. The door gasket

Customer Question

I have a Quadra-Fire Castile Pellet insert. The door gasket needed to be replaced so I bought a 5/8 inch flat gasket at the Quadra-Fire dealer, and glued it in the crevice around the door, now the stove will not light. Last spring I used a round gasket that I got at TSC and glued it all around the door including at the top, and it worked but the door glass had t be cleaned every day because it would be covered with soot and ash. Can you tell me what is wrong and what I need to do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Electrifier replied 6 years ago.

Electrifier :

Will the stove light with the door open?

Electrifier :

Do you have combustion air supplied to the stove from outside?

Customer :

No, the stove will not light with the door open. I do not know if there is combustion air supply from outside. There is a vent pipe that goes through the roof.

Electrifier :

You must have combustion air from outside for the stove. With the door open the stove should light, there will be plenty of available air to light unless there is a safety device to keep it from lighting with the door open. Do you have a model number with the stove?

Electrifier :

What happens when you start the fireplace but it doesn't light? Is there fuel in the firebox? Do any lights come on? Does the igniter glow at all?

Customer :

The stove will light, but it is not feeding the pellets to the firebox. I have called the company/store that handles Quadra-Fire inserts and he is coming to check out my problem....I am sorry that you were not able to help me. Please do not charge my account this time. Thank you, Customer

Electrifier :

So the problem is not at all what you described. It will light but the feed does not work at all.

Electrifier :

For the feed to work both the snap disc 2 and the vacuum switch must be made. The door must be sealed for the vacuum switch to work. If the gasket that you installed does not seal well the feed will not work.

Electrifier :

19. Vacuum Switch
The vacuum switch is located at the back of the appliance.
This switch turns the feed system on when vacuum is present
in the fi rebox. The vacuum switch is a safety device to shut
off the feed motor if the exhaust or the heat exchanger
system is dirty or plugged or if the fi rebox door is open.

Electrifier :

If you have a volt meter you can check the vacuum switch to be sure it is closing when it tries to light.

Electrifier :

I'm sure this is the problem since it happened when you changed the gasket.

Electrifier :

16. Door Gasket Inspection
• Frequency: Monthly or after burning 1 ton of fuel
• By: Homeowner
To inspect the door rope (gasket), open the door and see
that the door rope extends approximately 1/8 to 3/16 inch
(3 to 9.5mm) from the door rope channel.
It should show signs of compaction all the way around the
door where the rope contacts the face of the insert.

Electrifier :

With the correct information now I am able to give you proper assistance.