M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician

16 year old comfortmaker rpj II wont ignite. The initial blower

Customer Question

16 year old comfortmaker rpj II wont ignite. The initial blower starts but I dont ever see the ignitor glow. No blinking led light either. How do I isolate the problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  M Oglesby replied 3 years ago.

M Oglesby :

Which fan is coming on?

M Oglesby :

Is it the Inducer Fan Motor?

M Oglesby :

The inducer Fan motor is located inside the furnace cabinet and has a rubber hose attached to it that connects to a round pressure switch. Locate what I just described and let me know if you find it.

Customer :

yes but now the main blower is blowing cold air

M Oglesby :

Do you see any flashing lights now?

Customer :

yes 1 slow blink

M Oglesby :

Remove the furnace door panels and look on the back of them to find out what a 1 blink LED troubleshooting code is indicating.

Customer :

system lockout due to retry

M Oglesby :

Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer :

let me make sure about what I am seeing - 1 flash every 2 seconds continually

Customer :

sheet says 1 flash = system lockout due to retry but then it says continous flash says flame sensed with no call for heat. sounds like the first one but i am no expert

Customer :

dont have a voltmeter

M Oglesby :

Do you see a cutoff switch near the furnace that looks like a light switch?

Customer :

yes red emergency switch

M Oglesby :

Turn it off.

Customer :

done

M Oglesby :

Did the furnace go off?

Customer :

yes

M Oglesby :

Remove the furnace door panel and remove the rubber hose that connects to the inducer fan motor and the round pressures switch. Blow through it to make sure it is clear and inspect the hose for tares or breaks. Use a paper clip to clean out the connection at the inducer fan motor very good applying force if necessary. The paper clip should go all the way through to the fan blades. If it does not go all the way through, force it through.

Customer :

ok

M Oglesby :

Replace hose then turn the furnace back on. Observe the ignition process and let me know if the igniter attempts to ignite.

Customer :

trying to get someone to turn thermostat while i sit in attic to observer - be right back

Customer :

inducer comes on, heard a click and pufff of gas smell and the another click and no more gas, after about a minute another click, more gas smell than another click no more gas. inducer on the whole time. no glow of ignition. a minute later same sequence as before. no diags light at this time. inducer still going.

Customer :

still same cycle, inducer is on, click, more gas, another click ends gas. still no diag light

M Oglesby :

So you do smell gas?

Customer :

yes

M Oglesby :

If you smell gas, your problem is a bad igniter.

M Oglesby :

Just replace the igniter. YOu can get one here at www.AmericanHVACparts.com

Customer :

ok where is that located on the system

M Oglesby :

It is located inside the burner compartment of the furnace.

M Oglesby :

Have the model number and serial number of furnace ready when ordering the new igniter.

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT if you are satisfied with this service. If not, I will continue to assist you. Thanks Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated!!

Customer :

i assume its the piece with the wire coming out the side

M Oglesby :

That is correct.

Customer :

is there one or two of these?. on each end of the casing with the burners I see wires going through the housing but they are flat on the inside

M Oglesby :

There should only be one igniter.

M Oglesby :

Are you able to take a picture of your furnace insides near the burner tray and attache to this chat?

Customer :

never mind I found it. its the one with the metal coil around it. took it out and the coil crumbled into my hand. will replace. now just in the outside chance this doesnt fix it what would be next to look at?

M Oglesby :

There is a 90% chance that that is the problem. If that doesn't fix it, Your control board is bad. But make sure when installing the new igniter, that you do not touch the coil with your fingers. That will ruin it.

Customer :

ok. is there a trick to uncoupling the wire harness that connects the ignitor to the wire

M Oglesby :

Press in the sides as you pull apart.

Customer :

got it thx for the help.

M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience: Universally Certified HVACR Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just wanted to let you know you were right. Got an igniter from a local Plumbing Supply store for $31, put it in and it came right on.
Expert:  M Oglesby replied 3 years ago.
Great Job! I am glad your problem is resolved and I beleived you saved yourself a lot of money doing the job yourself. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated!!