Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

My Nordyne M1 furnace is short cycling. I have replaced the

My Nordyne M1 furnace is short cycling. I have replaced the fan-limit and adjusted anticipator to .4. I am a single mother living in a very remote area and getting an HVAC tech here would cost me a fortune. Please help.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 years ago.

Tim H :

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! Is this a forced air furnace?

Customer :

Hi, Tim! Yes, it is

Tim H :

Are you still there?

Customer :

Yes, I'm here....it is a forced air furnace

Tim H :

Do you have an old mercury type thermostat?

Customer :

Let me see...

Customer :

It is an Intertherm....it's got a lever on top

Customer :

There's a silver coil inside

Tim H :

Is this a mobile home?

Customer :

I don't see a mercury bulb, but it may be behind the panel

Customer :

Yes, it's a mobile home

Customer :

it does look like an old style thermostat....definitely not a "state of the art"

Tim H :

If it's a mercury type stat, these have to be level and have the anticipator set correctly

Customer :

I checked the Nordyne manual and it said the .4 was normal....that's what I set it for

Customer :

It had been set all the way to 1.7

Customer :

Setting it to .4 didn't seem to help at all

Tim H :

The larger the number you set it to, the longer it will run and the less chance of short cycling.

Customer :

I haven't moved the thermostate at all, but I can check if it's level

Customer :

Oh, well it was short cycling at 1.7

Tim H :

Now describe what you mean by short cycling...

Customer :

But you're right, it has gotten worse since I set it to factory spec...that's why I got with you guys

Customer :

The furnace will kick on and run for a bit...then it shuts off all of a sudden....then it comes back on in less than a minute or so

Customer :

Then the cycle repeats

Customer :

It does this early in the morning when the house is cold and you know that the furnace should be running for a while

Tim H :

It really sounds like you need to replace your thermostat

Customer :

Boy, I would be so happy if that were it

Customer :

Would you be able to tell me what kind of thermostat would be compatible with the kind of furnace I have?

Tim H :

Mercury stats are quite old. After a while, the mercury becomes contaminated and doesn't work properly.

Customer :

Well, the house is about 10 years old now

Customer :

If you could tell me what thermostat I could get that would work that would be great. Also, would I be able to install it myself or would I have to have an HVAC tech do that?

Tim H :

I'd try a new stat first. There could be other issues going on, but you'd need to get more involved with troubleshooting.

Customer :

I have checked online and read that replacing the thermostat has solved short cycling problems

Customer :

Are these questions that you can answer?

Tim H :

Here's a good one, relatively cheap....

Customer :

Thanks!

Tim H :

Easy to install, directions inside...

Customer :

Oh, super! :)

Customer :

So, if this doesn't work, what would you suggest next?

Tim H :

Make sure you shut the power to the furnace off first.

Customer :

I always try to have a backup :)

Customer :

Oh yeah, I'll shut off the switch at the breaker box

Tim H :

Then we'd need to get into more detailed troubleshooting involving a voltmeter.

Customer :

OK, that's good to know

Tim H :

If this doesn't work, that is.

Customer :

I will get this thermo and hope for the best! Thank you so much for your help!

Tim H :

No problem. Let me know how it goes...

Customer :

I will....if I do need to get back with you again, will I get you or just whoever is there?

Tim H :

You can ask for me. Or many of our techs are highly qualified.

Customer :

Naw, I'm kind of partial to things I'm familiar with. Besides, I've been having a really rough day and you've made it a little better. :)

Tim H :

Great. I'm glad to hear THAT.

Customer :

Thanks! So, are we good to go and I can hit the Accept button?

Tim H :

For now...

Customer :

OK. I hope you have a super weekend! Thanks again!

Tim H :

U2

Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.