BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

VR8205S2288 valve fitted to one of my furnaces. Refusing to

VR8205S2288 valve fitted to one of my furnaces. Refusing to light; ignitor is not firing. Red light on PCB is flashing steady short pulses (about 3sec's between). Valve has a position marked "C". Is this a means of manually purging? Is this flashing pattern in fact an error code? Any help would be appreciated.

what is furnace make/model?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Fridgidaire: Model FG6RA096C12B

Thank you.

You will need to replace the gas valve. This circuit is returning info to the circuit board of a short in that circuit.

See page 30 here - http://www.nordyne.com/Literature/708291b.pdf

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Billy...filter was "sketchy". Would this cause one of the lockout switches to trip? Where are these located so I can check this out prior to paying an emerg. callout (just to have a guy push the switch for a couple of hundred bucks).

Ok, this is contingent on the pattern...

continuous blink is gas valve..

One blink is limit

see page 31 for limit placement (behinf gas valve)...tap the switch, it sometimes resets that way.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will try this...

standing by

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nada. The VR8205 is obsolete? Correct? I would assume that Honeywell manufactures an upgraded version suitable as a "swap it and go" for this particular valve model? I will not blow myself up changing it out...I am a renovation contractor by trade and completed two years of gas/pipefitting/plumbing at NAIT, here in Edmonton Alberta. Just never made it as far as the "controls" portion of the curriculum...LOL.

remove the 2 wires from the limit switch...touch them together...see if code ceases.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will do

We can go from there....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Crossing the wires the led went to continuously on for a period of about 20 seconds...then there was an slight "click" sound and it went back into protect

Ok....use a paper clip to stick into the wire ends and loosely tape so the metal cannot touch cabinent...turn power off for 60 seconds....then turn back on. Tell me next code...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
On it...

This bypasses the limit...which the bypass is for testing only.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She's burning gas buddy...

Excellent.....now we know the limit is stuck open from the dirty filter...which is much better than a bad gas valve!

Option...remove the switch and clean it, tap it direct on switch...see if it resets...or replace switch. All local dealers will have one..just take it with you.

Congrats!

Billy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much...one other thing. If it is bad, I won't be able to source a replacement til tomorrow am. It's going down to -30C tonight...Is it safe to run for the night with the existing "fix"?

If you have a bit more time lets try this....I dont want you to run with it bypassed...remove the switch....heat it with hair dryer...then throw it direct to freezer for 5 minutes...then reinstall and see if it works.....

I will wait.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will do....

I will feel better if we can get it to reset.....

I am not one for chances....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It was already heated up nicely from being in position with the heat running. It's now removed and sitting on the front step @ -26C. Will leave it for 5 mins and retry with it re-installed. I'm guessing that if she won't fire, then the switch is toast? If it was a "Home Depot" kind of part, I'd run and grab one...but I seriously doubt it. My plumbing wholesaler will have one...(or tell me who to go see). But that's tomorrow AM, like I said. Time to start assigning folks for "fire picket" duties now? LOL

Well odds are one in a million something could go wrong.....but I just wont tell you to run it without the safety intact.

I really hope it resets....if not kepp a watch, or heat house up nicely and get up every couple hours to run and then shut down.....get the switch tomorrow (home Depot wont have)

Thanks for your patience!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Patience nothing...you just saved me a bundle buddy!!! Highly recomended.

Thanks for this...going to re-test switch now...hopefully it's ok.

All the best, Ron

I thank you...and wish you the best.

Billy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We're good to go...thanks again!

EXCELLENT!