Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE

York Diamond 80 blowing cold air. LED indicator blinking

York Diamond 80 blowing cold air. LED indicator blinking twice.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

This would indicate a pressure switch is stuck closed. If you remove the door from the furnace you will see the combustion motor. You will also see the pressure switch which is a round switch that has a rubber hose connected to the combustion blower assembly. Remove that rubber hose and blow it out to make sure there is no water or debris in it. Probe the port on the combustion motor with a paperclip or something to make sure it's not blocked. Put the hose back on the pressure switch and blow and draw on it gently to see if it clicks. If it does, put the hose back on and restart the furnace. If you cleared any blockage it will work. If the pressure switch has water in it or is hanging up, you may need to replace the switch itself but a gentle tap with the handle of a screwdriver may unstick it for now.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do I need to turn anything off before doing this?
Expert:  Douglas replied 5 years ago.
If there is a power switch at the furnace (on the side), you can turn it off, If there is no switch, you can either remove the blower door (which will turn the furnace power off) or flip the breaker for the furnace in the breaker panel.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did above, still not working. The gas starts and I hear a click but then stops
Expert:  Douglas replied 5 years ago.
does the gas ingite?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes for a few seconds then just stops
Expert:  Douglas replied 5 years ago.
Ok.... did you see where the ignitor was?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
right in front there’s a pipe with 5 places for the gas
Expert:  Douglas replied 5 years ago.
Ok,,, on the furthest one from the ignitor, there should be a flame sensor. Its a single rod about the size of a piece of spahgetti. Its between the burner and the opening of the heat exchanger. It has a ceramic insulator and a single wire running to it. Do you see that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, i see it
Expert:  Douglas replied 5 years ago.
Ok, turn the power off to the furnace. Find a piece of steel wool (not an SOS pad) or a scotch brite pad or if you dont have either of those a crispy dollar bill. Clean that rod to remove the thin film of carbon/silica so the rod is nice and clean. In a worst case you could use sand paper but it leaves silica behind. If you do use sand paper, wipe it well with a cloth when you are done. Once you are done cleaning it well, turn the power back on and let me know what happens when it fires.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It fired up and stayed on. You Rock!!! I finally have some heat.
Thank you!
Expert:  Douglas replied 5 years ago.
Ok... glad to hear.... I would take a half an hour to explain why it worked but you have to trust me.... There is a small current that flows from the flame rod to the burner via the flame and a little dirt can kill this current. Glad its going :)

If I have answered your question, please click accept. As always, positive feedback and bonuses are welcome and greatly appreciated. Have a great 2011