Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations
6927568

Our Rheem Criterion II keeps shutting off. We have been able

Our Rheem Criterion II keeps shutting off. We have been able to restart twice after leaving the circuit breaker and thermostat off all night then putting them back on in the morning.
Our local tech replaced the thermostat and told us if it happened again we would have to replace the control panel. Well, it happened again 24 hours later and it started up after being off a good 14 hours. Does this sound like a reasonable solution? What is the price
for this part. Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX help.
Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Matthew :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you today.

Matthew :

It sounds more like it is cutting off on high limit. What is the model number on the furnace?

Matthew :

The model number is XXXXX a data plate inside the furnace behind the top door of the furnace. It will start RG#####

JACUSTOMER-3ukhkb04- :

I'll look. Be right back. Cannot find. will keep looking. sorry

JACUSTOMER-3ukhkb04- :

it is rg ph10ebrjrfd5d307f460202824

Matthew :

Okay, this unit has a fault LED on the control board that will blink a fault code when the furnace fails. Do you see the LED blinking or is solid on?

Matthew :

And when it fails is the blower running continuously or is nothing happening at all at the furnace?

JACUSTOMER-3ukhkb04- :

is anyone there?

Matthew :

I'm here did you not get my responses about the LED code?

JACUSTOMER-3ukhkb04- :

I'm sorry. I see it now. I dont know what to look for as far as an led on control board.

Matthew :

behind the bottom door of the furnace is the control board. O this control board is a little led that blinks a fault code when the furnace fails.

JACUSTOMER-3ukhkb04- :

I dont know how to find the fault led. also, the blower shuts off with the furnace.

JACUSTOMER-3ukhkb04- :

not sure if my message went through. i don't have access to the control board. my husband's gone to bed.

JACUSTOMER-3ukhkb04- :

I will ask the tech in the am to let me know if he looked for a fault code and what does it mean.

Matthew :

The code will only show up when the system is in failure.

Matthew :

So if it isn't acting up when he is there it will not give the code.

Matthew :

If it was a limit the blower would run continuously pushing air out and then after the limit resets it would bring the burners back on.

Matthew :

What is happening to you is everything shuts down completely until you reset power. This sounds like it could be an internal failure of the control board in the furnace indeed.

Matthew :

There are a few different control boards used on this brand furnace so let me see if I can get you an average of what to expect for a control board replacement.

JACUSTOMER-3ukhkb04- :

That's great. Thank you.

Matthew :

I found the exact board for your unit actually because you gave me the serial number when you gave me the model number.

Matthew :

Your looking at a service call of around $85, around 1/2hr labor at around $85/hr, and then anywhere from $300-$350 for the control board.

Matthew :

so $ 450 give or take out the door for a control board replacement.

JACUSTOMER-3ukhkb04- :

Thank you. I need assurance we weren't being taken advantage of. Living in NJ we are due for another

JACUSTOMER-3ukhkb04- :

big storm Tuesday. So, we'll put in the new board