Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
27672032

The pressure switch is stuck open, how do I get my furnace

The pressure switch is stuck open, how do I get my furnace to come back on
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 3 years ago.

Douglas :

Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

Douglas :

First you need to cycle the power. On a new call for heat, does the inducer motor start?

Customer :

no

Douglas :

Thats why the pressure switch is open.

Douglas :

Is the inducer motor hot to the touch?

Customer :

no

Douglas :

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer :

no

Douglas :

Ok... in a nutshell, the pressure switch is a verification that the inducer (combustion fan) is on and that the vent is clear. If the vent is restricted or the inducer motor does not come on, the pressure switch will not make. If the motor were hot, it may be that he motor is bad, being cool, I would want to know if it had voltage so I knew where to go next.

Douglas :

The pressure switch is the disk shaped device with a rubber hose leading to the inducer assembly. You may want to take the hose off and blow the hose out and then blow and draw gently on the pressure switch to see if it clicks. If its stuck closed, it will not allow the inducer to start.

Customer :

there are 2 disc shaped devices on the furnace, one on the left and one on the right, which one do i check?

Douglas :

Both

Customer :

Ok, i am going to try that now

Douglas :

ok

Customer :

blew out both hoses and still getting 3 flashes stating the pressure switch is still stuck open

Douglas :

it will be. Did you turn the power off and back on at the furnace? (if there is not a switch, just pop the blower door off and put it back on.

Douglas :

dont turn it off at the thermostat, cycle the power at the furnace

Customer :

ok, we are putting the paneling front on the furnance, ok ,I will cycle at the furnace, be right back

Customer :

put the door back on turned furnace switch on, and still have 3 flashes saying pressure switch is stuck open. Furnace still did not come on

Douglas :

give it a few minutes... may be a time delay in your thermostat.

Customer :

Could there be a reset switch I am missing?

Douglas :

no

Customer :

Do you have any other suggestions, the light continues to flash?

Douglas :

Well.... can you find someone with a meter? As of right now, its telling us what we already know. The inducer is not running and therefore the switch is not closing. How many wires go to that pressure switch?

Customer :

I do not know where the pressure switch is, Right now I cannot find anyone with a meter.

Douglas :

It was the disk shaped thing connected to the hose you blew out...

Customer :

ok, there are 2 of them,do I check both of them, and can I check them without a voltage meter?

Douglas :

disconnect one wire from each of them and see if the furnace inducer starts... one at a time.

Customer :

ok,

Customer :

The disk on the left has 2 gray wires, and the disc on the right has yellow and orange wire and they are plastic and will I get schocked by pulling one of the wires off?

Douglas :

Turn the power off, remove the wire, turn the power back on, just make sure the wire terminal is not touching anything.

Customer :

ok, its done

Douglas :

did anything happen?

Customer :

no, still nothing

Douglas :

Well..... then its one of two things and without a meter, I cant promise one or the other. Either the inducer motor is bad or the board is. I would invest in a volt meter or just call someone to determine which it is but that inducer motor needs to be running which would make the pressure switch close. I dont know if the motor is bad or the board that sends the voltage to the motor.

Douglas :

I'll opt out at this point. Maybe someone else can give you some additional things to check...

Customer :

My inducer fan is not running at all, could that be my problem? ok

Customer :

thanks

Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience: Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE