Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Hi, I have a Burnham Series 2 Model B boiler. I was bleeding

I have a Burnham Series 2 Model B boiler. I was bleeding my radiators, which worked fine on the 1st and 2nd floors, but on my top (3rd) floor, only air came out, no water. I'm concerned that I need to add more water to the system but the user manual has no info about this. Could you help?

Thanks,

Sid
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer,

The most common device to control system pressure is a feed valve
graphic
This device automatically regulates the water into the boiler so it won't drop below 12 psi . If it does drop below 12 psi then the device may be defective. With this particular model you can bypass the auto function by flipping the lever straight up. But if the device is clogged with rust it may need to be replaced
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The radiators are getting hot but definitely not as much as the ones that I bled successfully.

You're saying the system adds water on its own? Then it's not providing enough pressure to get to the top floor radiators farthest from the boiler? How can I tell what the pressure is? What should it be? And can I adjust it?

Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
There is an often unreliable pressure gauge on the boiler. It would take at least 15 psi to get the water to the 3rd floor. We use our own gauge connected to a female hose fitting to verify the water pressure. We screw it onto any hose faucet on the system then open the valve to check pressure. The device shown above has a lever to (bypass factory settings) let you bump up the water pressure. Please re-read my original answer.