gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I just replaced the batteries in my Lux TX9000TS thermostat

Customer Question

I just replaced the batteries in my Lux TX9000TS thermostat because the "Replace Battery" indicator light was on. After reinstalling/reattaching the thermostat body to the wall plate portion of the unit, this is what happens: I can hear the trigger mechanism click at the appropriate room temperature, but nothing happens. No air handler/furnace kicks on.

I'm wondering if some kind of a system setting was somehow changed when I removed the unit to replace the batteries, since all wiring has remained untouched.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks for your assistance!

Regards,

Brook Restall
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 4 years ago.
Have to ask . Are batteries in correctly. Pull thermostat back off and check for any bent pins. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Batteries are in correctly. I was curious and double-checked that earlier this afternoon. I don't think the display will illuminate if they're in wrong, but no matter, they're in ok.

No bent pins. They all look straight, true, and show no other signs of trouble such as corrosion or being loose/wobbly on the circuit board.

FYI - I can hear the trigger mechanism click when the temperature reaches the desired set point, but nothing happens. (The furnace does not come on.)

I've tried to test the unit the same way in "Cool" mode following these steps: 1) Switch the Thermostat to the "Off" position and then wait a few seconds. 2) Switch it to "Cool". 3) Bump the current "Temp Setting" to current room temp and then a degree more (if the trigger has not already clicked). But in "Cool" mode, the thermostat will not trigger (click) no matter what the programmed temp setting is changed to, on, near. above, or below the room temp

I don't understand why in "Heat" mode, every time the temp setting is changed (bumped a degree at a time), as soon as it reaches the current room temp the unit triggers (clicks) immediately. In "Cool" mode it won't trigger that typical little click at all.

I have turned "off" and back "on" all circuit breakers connecting all components. Nothing seems to make any difference.

Thanks for your input thus far.

Take the front of thermostat off and jump terminals R to W with a wire or paper clip to see if unit comes on. Is this a gas or electric furnace. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's a gas (heating oil) furnace.

Let me jump those terminals now.

If it is gas just jumper R to W. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. With the unit's body section removed from the wall plate/bracket, I see the wire hold-down screws. Slots read a follows from R to L:

"W" / "Y" / "G" / "B" / "O" / "RC" / "RH" / "C"

"RC" & "RW" are jumpered already, as are a few others.

I'll go ahead and jumper "W" to the "R" wires, but if I need to screw down the jumper and remount the thermostat body to the wall plate, I'll need a few short minutes more.

No just a small wire or paper clip and jump R to W. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The jumper is in place, the thermostat body has been remounted in its wall plate, and I bumped the Temp Setting up past the current room temp,...... heard the thermostat trigger (click) "on", but nothing happens. Air handler/furnace do not come on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FYI - I did see a little tiny arc upon initial touching of the jumped contacts, so I know that there is power energizing one terminal to another.

Any other suggestions? I'll be around for awhile.

thx

You jumpered Red to White did furnace come on. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So as to be very specific,.....with the wiring harness exposed I jumped the "RC" + "RH" terminals (already jumped with a small black wire) to the "W" terminal. There was a small energy spark upon contact, but nothing came on.

I screwed the jumper in place and remounted the thermostat body to the wall plate. Bumped the temp override seting up and heard the unit trigger, but nothing came on. Still no air blowing yet.

I'm going to remove the jumper now, unless I hear otherwise from you.

thx.

Go ahead and remove jumper. We were trying to eliminate thermostat. Go to furnace and check diagnostic light in blower area. Count LED flashes and check the chart to see where problem area lies. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok. I've been in that blower/furnace unit a number of times, never having seen a diagnostic light of any sort. Just looked again now. I can't find diagnostic light. The unit is at least 13 years old.

It's an Addison furnace and a Ducane burner mounted inside it. If you want the model # XXXXX let me know.

thx

When you tryto fire furnace does anything come on at furnace. Induce draft blower or igniter. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When you say "Try to fire the furnace" do you mean do more than just have the thermostat settings in proper order for the furnace to come on? (That is to say making sure that the thermostat unit has triggered (clicked) "On" and everything else is already in place, prepared for a normal cycle to happen? When I stand next to the furnace under those normal "start-up" conditions, I hear and see nothing.

Or, do I need to go to the furnace and somehow initiate a start-up? That would be something I have no experience doing, nor see any manual way to do that. There are a lot of labels, warnings, and such (decals) inside the unit, but no instructions for re-lighting a pilot light or any kind of manual start-up.

FYI - I have been beside the unit many times in the past (it's located in the garage) and heard it initialize, and it sounds like a gas grill igniter kicking on the initial flame.

So

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So

I
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
To complete my previous response,.....I see or hear nothing happen when standing beside the furnace/air-handler when it's supposed to come on. Nothing from Induce draft blower or igniter. Nothing at all.
Thanks for info. Open blower door and just check the furnace board for a blown fuse. It should be a purple 3 amp auto type fuse on board. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Give me a minute or two, please.
I will be here. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I already had the cover off where the back of the burner is exposed, and took the lower cover off to expose the squirrel cage. In the latter area, there are some wires draped from a terminal block to a switch type looking thing mounted in the interior of that area, but no fuse, auto type or otherwise.

Do you have a voltmeter to check for voltage on terminals. Russ

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In the process of wiggling some of those wires around a little bit, the furnace ingited kicked on and the blower began to run too. It ran for about a minute, and quit. I just went through those same wires to check the connections, and cleaned up a couple of male-to-female push-on connectors that looked like they might have been a little corroded. I had the wall switch that controls the air handler "Off" for safety's sake. (Figured that if there were loose connections in there, I didn't want to cause intermitttant connectivity, so I switched the unit off.) Upon finishing, I flipped the switch "On" and nothing came on. Now I'm really at a loss!

FYI - The connections I refer to are integral to a small board of phenolic material that mounts over an opening into the burner chamber that has two insulated wires about 4inches long connected to a two-piece electrical component of some sort that's about dime-size in diameter and each half about 1/8" making it about the size of four dimes stacked up. One side black plastic, the other unfinished aluminum.

It's all back together and switched "On", but nothing's running.

Is the plot getting thicker? I am at a loss!

I might have a volt meter around. What range are we talking about?

Sorry computor vitus. Had to clean it. Took all night. Check these small disc on furnace for resets. Meter range up to 120 volts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Back of burner has a reset button and label (decal) stating to "Homeowner- Only reset once" and some other comment of sorts but I'm late for work running out the door. There are no wired there. Only a red button under a rubbery soft plastic piece of tape looking arrangement (like the soft "on-off" button on some flashlights, but thinner material).

I'll get back to you after 4:30 this afternoon with the rest of that decal's language and will neet to know voltage range we're talking about, too. I may have a meter, may have to go get one.

thx

No problem it will give me time to research.