gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

When our electric furnace turns on, a fairly loud buzzing sound

Customer Question

When our electric furnace turns on, a fairly loud buzzing sound comes from the electrical
panel which is situated in the garage which is annoying to no end as the sound actually
buzzes in the wall of the Den. B.C Hydro checked out the meter with 2 units which didn't make any difference.An Electrician was on hand and tried replacing various breakers etc as
well as moving the wire coming out of the circuit breaker and got different levels of this buzzing sound but could not eliminate the noise.None of fellows had ever experienced this problem before.
Do you have any ideas?
Thanks,
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 3 years ago.

Ron. How many breakers do you have to furnace. Russ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There are two...........125's Russ

At furnace can you if you have two breaker turn on off and see if noose goes away. How far is furnace from main power. Russ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The noise is not noticed at the furnace, its at the electrical panel,and the noise can be heard in the Den walls.This is only heard when the furnace kicks on,slightly at first,and then as full amps are being drawn the noise increases to full bore.As I said the panel is in the attached garage and the furnace is in the basement, in the closest room to the garage.I believe the line goes up the wall from the panel,across the rafters about 26 ft and then down to the furnace room.
One more question is meter on the other sode of wall? Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The hydro meter is on the outside wall of the garage.It is attached somehow to the electrical panel directly on the other side of the wall.
The Hydro co.tried 3 different meters to no effect. The power line transformer up the pole across the street was checked and it was not generating any noise.
The electrician tried changing the breakers involved and the still the noise continued.This is the first electric furnace I've owned so I have no experience what so ever.When the furnace kicks on full I believe it was drawing 80 amps per side.
Electric furnaces are very quiet. The only problem with noise that I have had is just a bad contactor on heat strips. I am sorry but I am at a lose here. I will opt out for another expert. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess you haven't been listening..........NO one said the furnace was noisy, I said the the electrical panel was making the noise.This has been a waste of time.
What I meant by answer is and should have made clear is that electric furnaces are quiet. They should cause not interfere with power source and cause anything to make noise. The noise is coming from back panel of main. The urnace is pulling so much amprage that it is causing the panel to viabrate. Can you feel panel viabrate. Russ