Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC

I recently purchased an older mobile home, it has a duo therm

Customer Question

I recently purchased an older mobile home, it has a duo therm furnace model # XXXXX The previous owner told me I need to put silicon grease in the motor. He didn't really break it down well for me, and now the motor is not running well and seems to be getting hot. I purchased some silicone spray at the hardware store because the didn't have the grease, but I don;t really know where to spray it.

I don't have an owners manual for the furnace, do you know where I could find one?
If you could tell me how to oil or lubricate this motor, it would be really helpful.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 3 years ago.

Rick Mather :

If the motor has bad bearing no grease is going to work get the motor replaced

Customer :

I don't believe it has a bad bearing. I just want someone to tell me how to apply the grease to lube the motor

Rick Mather :

Well unless ther is zerk fitting grease won't go in most motors if the have lube point are oil ports that oil is placed down them and the lube bearings

Customer :

The man who sold me the trailer showed me how to turn off, unplug and pull out the motor. That part is easy. I just don't remember what to take apart and where to put the grease.

Customer :

the trailer is a 1969 model, so the furnace is old!

Rick Mather :

Well the bearings would be on shaft of motor at each end if they have non seal bearing just wipe small amount of grease in them but you may have to take motor apart to get at it

Customer :

I was hoping for detailed instructions on how to do that

Rick Mather :

If you can upload picture then maybe I can give you that

Customer :

when i used the spray silicone, I sprayed it on the ends and inside with the straw, it helps and the heater works but its just not enough lube

Customer :

I'll go take some pics

Rick Mather :

ok please advise

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

do you need more pics?

Rick Mather :

That motor has bearings that you will have to totally remove out of squirrel cage to get at bearings

Customer :

level of difficulty?

Rick Mather :

about a 6-7 on scale of 10 depending if shaft is stuck on squirrel cage

Customer :

will you be able to give detailed instructions on how to dismantle and lube bearings?

Rick Mather :

Remove the bolt that hold motor to housing and then flip and undo shaft screw and slide motor out

Customer :

ok

Rick Mather :

Then you have to access bearings from motor itself

Customer :

I'm having trouble getting the motor out. It has 3 bolts holding the motor in place

Customer :

can you see in the pic?

Rick Mather :

Yes three bolts and one on shaft on other side

Customer :

when I undo the bolts it won't slide out

Rick Mather :

Like I said if it will release from shaft

Customer :

this is frustrating. can I take the motor to someone to get it lubed?

Rick Mather :

Yes thats what I would do or have it replaced