gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC

I have a Carrier Furnace model 58PAV070-08 series 160. It

I have a Carrier Furnace model 58PAV070-08 series 160. It is in an old farm house. It has not been in service for several (5 +/-) years. I want to do PM and cleaning on it before using it. It will not start and stay started.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other
I thought I fixed it ... but no.
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 3 years ago.
There is a flame sensor inserted into burner. About 3 inches long. It has one wire attached. Pull and clean with sand paper. Retry furnace. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Russ,

That is what I tried and it did not work. Then I relisted my question. I also checked the wire that goes to the flame sensor. Any other thoughts?

tx

david

David does furnace fire at all. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Russ,

Yes it fires up and burns for about 5 seconds. It then relights and fires again. On the forth relight it will shut down. There are code flashes - three short and 4 long.

david

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Russ,

I will have to be gone for a 2 or 3 hours. I will check back then. thanks, david

David it is going to be board or igniter problem. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can see the igniter get cherry red and ignite the gas. What do you mean "board"? ---circuit board or what board? And, does the "board" just have to be replaced or what?

Board is just a trade term. It depends on what you are working on. If Air Conditioning board is defrost board for heat pump if furnace it means IFC or furnace control board. Try cleaning flame sensor inserted into burner. Do you have volt meter. Russ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Russ,

I did clean the flame sensor and checked the wire to it. Yes, I do have a volt meter.

Please note that initially it would burn for a couple of hours. Then on the second lighting it would try three or four times to light. After short burns (5 seconds) it would quit each time. Then it would shut down completely.

Need to check miliamps on flame sensor. Should be putting out 4 to 5 miliamps, Disconnect lame sensor and touch one lead to terminal of sensor and one to a good ground. Fire furnace. Let me know what reading you get. Checking to see if we have a bad sensor. The ceramic gets a small crack and grounds out before voltage reaches board. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Russ,

I will do that this morning about 9:00 o'clock. ' Hope it is the problem because that should be an easy fix.

tx,

david

Just get back to me. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK
Let me know results after you take reading. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Russ,

I sent a reply to you but it is not here. I decided to have a local repair man come out and see the furnace. He did. I ask you how much you think I owe you. You have been helpful. It needed a new board. Man those are expensive.

david

I did not get reply sorry. board at www.americanhvacparts.com is 229.00. If I have helped just press accept. The micro amp reading on sensor would have told us it was board. Thanks. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Russ,

I have some other questions about freezers, etc. I own a store. Is there a number where I can talk with you for a minute about these? I will press the "Accept Answer" before we talk but I am aftaid "Accept Answer" will stop communications with you. If you are not interesting in talking that is OK. I will still "Accept Answer" after you reply. Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to call customers. site violation. But do not hit accept and ask me your question on freezers be glad to help. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I was thinking that would be the situation. Well here goes. The store is in a small town in Missouri. Population 400. I have an old vegetable refrigeration unit that is about 15 feet long. It has not worked for the last two years. I could not afford to have someone look at it because of the economy in our town. I also have a freezing unit that is a 15 door unit that quit working several month after the vegetable cooler. There is a guy locally that would like to help but he and I are not that knowledgable. My store is practically the only commerce in town. I would really like to stay in business. Those 2 units were a large part of the draw to the store. Is this something you would care to get involved with? And, maybe it is a lost cause - nobody can fix them. David

On the cooler and freezer will compressors run. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Russ,

I apologize for being out of touch for the past few days. We have had to be out of town to help with family. The furnace works. I'll pay you when you say to. Thank you.

Yes the compressors do run.

Can pictures be sent using this communication? If so I could let you look at the units too.

Yes you can send pictures to me. Like to see what you are dealing with. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will get some pictures. It may take a day or two. They will need to be uncovered.

Oh boy. I am really glad to work on these.

When I press Accept Answer, does it stop this dialog?

No it does not. All you have to do is request me and it will come to my computor. Russ
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience: 51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC