gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

Ive got a Bryant Plus 80 gas furnace. Stopped heating this

Customer Question

I've got a Bryant Plus 80 gas furnace. Stopped heating this afternoon. It's throwing error code 32. Suggestions?

Additional info: Unit is about 10 yrs old. Some fan comes on for 1-2 minutes then shuts off, but no gas is igniting in the furnace. (Gas water heater is working fine.)There is no condensation on any pipes, etc. The black flywheel on the front spins freely. Tried jiggling the pressure switch wires (a suggestion I found on another site), but no effect.

I'm aware of possible causes per a label on the furnace...
"-Proper venting size, low induce voltabe, defective inducer motor, ecessive wind, inadequate comustion air, disconnected or obstructed tubing, ddefective pressure switch, resctricted vent"

The question is how to figure out which is the most likely culprit. I'm big on fixing things myself, and with my budget it's not much of an option! :(
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

do you still assistance?

Billy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure. I'm trying to figure out how best to control my cost on this thing. I'm pretty handy with a wrench, so if I can do this myself and save some $ that'd be great. Reviewing the options it looks like either a restricted vent or defective inducer motor. Is there a way someone like me can troubleshoot and do the repair themselves? Does "resctrictricted vent" mean the air filter could be dirty?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

I like to do a couple things to rule out possibilities.

Are you into a hands on test?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fire away!
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Turn thermostat up..

Turn furnace off

remove the 2 wires on the pressure switch

hold thema apart and not touch cabinet

turn power on

WAIT until exhaust fan starts

AFTER exhaust fan has started touch the 2 wires together metal to metal (some have plastic coating)

Hold together and see if furnace tries to fire up.

Tell me results and codes if any

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need about 30-45 minutes to work on this. Got other "fires" I'm fighting right now as well. Is this something I can reach back to you on in, say, about an hour?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

No prob...whenever your ready

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. Took awhile to fashion a wire to safely do what you requested.

I turned up the thermostat, killed the power from the curcuit breaker and pulled the wires from the pressure switch, keeping them from touching anything.. After that I flipped the breaker back on, however the exhaust fan is not engaging. It appears the fan is also controlled by the pressure switch, which come to think of it, is consistent with its behavior when I removed the panel.

So I can't wait till the exhaust fan engages to run your test. Should I connect the wires to the breaker anyway and see what happens?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

The wires are not in the inducer circuit.

The furnace exhaust fan should start with the wires off or on. Is the door safety switch taped down?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see my mistake... I haven't correctly identified the pressure switch. It's not very obvious.

I've looked at photos on the internet. The closest thing I see are two components, one labeled "low fire 22 break" and the other "high fire 43 break". They're on the upper right corner of the furnace, which doesn't match at all with the illustration I found on from the manual: http://www.scribd.com/doc/288676/Bryant-Plus-80-Manual.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

What is your model number and I can make this easier for us.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's the Bryant Plus 80. Per my previous msg, I found the mannual on-line but it doesn't match what's there.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

I understand it is the Plus 80 series...but there are various models. With the specific model number we can both look at the exact unit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, here's what I've done...

I loaded pics of my furnace on a website I manage. These are photos I took of it about 15 minutes ago.

Here's the webpage: http://loanofficerpro.org/furnace.htm

If you still need the model # XXXXX me know.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Thank you...well done!

Se the 2 flying saucers to the right of the exhaust motor with the black cooling fan on the back?

We first will do the basics....remove rubber tube from back of the 2 switches

check for cracks

while tube off, use a paper clip or wire to poke out the fittings that the tube attaches to.

Reinstall tube to fittings...

above the 2 switches are 2 orange wires attached to a vent switch.

Push the center tiny button on that switch with the 2 orange wires.

Try operation again

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will do.

By the way, I know it's getting late. This doesn't have to be completely done tonight (we've got space heaters and a fireplace). How late were you wanting to be around this evening? If you want to call it a night (I'm east coast, not sure where you are), we can pick this up again tomorrow.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

I work off and on as my regular job allows.

I will be offline around 10 est...back online in intervals starting around 9am

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Glad you're still around.

Tried these but no change. What's next?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Remove the vent pipe from top of furnace if even only an inch or 2...see if unit progresses...if by chance it lights just turn power off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried that. Still no luck.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Thanks...now...there are 2 switches...one is labeled for for low fire and one for high fire.

I am referring to the 2 pressure switches that had the rubber tube attached.

Know which one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Remember the ..

turn power off remove 2 wires

from pressure switch

start furnace...

wait until exhaust fan starts

touch and hold the 2wires together

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still no luck. (I did this to the one that says "high fire" and with the tube coming out of the back.)
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

It must be done to the Low Fire one first.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No results on the Low Fire side. I did notice that there appears to be no charge going through these wires. When I did it to the High Fire side I could tell there was something there. Also, when I pushed the reset button in your earlier instructions I noticed the same...no apparent charge coming through. I pushed the little reset button again just now, but again nothing.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Is the safety door switch taped down?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I put the panel back on, which completed the circuit on the switch. Each time I worked on the wires I removed the panel to kill the power.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Ok...what we need is that switch taped down the whole time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry. Will do, and will try again.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Try that low fire again...but make sure the exhaust fan kicks on before you touch the wires together.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Taped it, then tried the low fire again after the exhaust fan kicked in. Still no luck. Then left the low fire bypass wire in tact and tried the high fire. Still no luck.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Ok,

see if you have that model number and I will pull the technical data

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Model # CKBXA030014AAA

It's getting late. If you want, we can pick this up tomorrow as your schedule allows.

I really appreciate your help so far.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

That number is XXXXX the air conditioner coil, The furnace number will be inside the top section of the furnace. I do have sign off now, but will check back in the am.

Billy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The model # XXXXX to be 330AAV036060 there's also a product #, which is 330AAV036060AAJA.

I'll check for your message in the morning.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Billy,

I thought you were going to get back with me in the morning.

I've been busy today and the weather has warmed up some, so it's not a huge deal, but I thought I'd reach back and see where we stand.

Also, tomorrow I plan on signing up for the long term plan, and if there's a way to pay you a bit more for your help I'd like to do that.

All the best,

Ron Smile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<span class="text-15-black">Billy, I know you're busy and you've given me a lot of your time already.<br /><br />I have a household with 5 people and still no heat. I'm upping the amount I'm willing to pay because of your time and because I need this resolved ASAP.<br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Ron </span><strong><span class="text-15-black"><br /></span></strong>
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

I apologize. I ended up in the hospital for 4 days with pneumonia. I am very sorry I left you hanging. I hope all worked out.

Billy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When you didn't reply I sent a message to justanswer, it was both a complaint and a concern that maybe something bad had happened to you. (They never replied.)

I'm sorry to hear that you got so sick. But even though we've never met, I'm also really glad you're doing a lot better. :)

I haven't really resolved the problem. I spoke to 2 HVAC guys who wanted to come out to do the repair. One thought it was either the curcuit board or some motor that had gone bad. It's the motor that has the black flywheel thingy.

The other guy thought it was the curcuit board. Both cost about $400, maybe more. I'm laid off of my job and my wife just lost hers, and we don't have any savings left, so we can't afford anything like that. I was hoping to avoid a big expense with the help from you and justanswer, but after you disappeared for several days no one else there would help.

I think I'm just going to give up...maybe buy another electric heater or something.
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

If you dont mind tinkering I am willing to move forward. I have a little time on my hands...

a few days before I head back looks like

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't tonight. Will you be around tomorrow?
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Yes I will. I just hate to give up...this code should be something we can beat. I will talk to you tomorrow.

Billy

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

I have waited for response...eveything ok?