Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

My furnace makes started making a loud buzzing sound when it

My furnace makes started making a loud buzzing sound when it went on this morning. It was still blowing hot air? What could it be?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! It is most likely a blower motor that is going out. But it could be an inducer motor if your furnace has one. Can you go down by the furnace and try and locate exactly where the noise is coming from? I'm betting on a bad blower motor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't get down there, but the blower did not go off right away when we turned the furnace off. We have called someone to come and take a look at it. Any idea how much blower motor costs these days?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Average cost--$125-250. They kind of range all over the place based on whether you are using a universal or direct replacement OEM. Of course, these are my costs. Plan on a shop marking that up.

Edited by Tim H on 12/9/2010 at 10:46 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

assuming that it is the blower motor, can we turn the furnace back on to warm up the house?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, as long as it doesn't get too hot. I have seen cases where customers used a blower that was bad and it started overheating and putting a strong electrical odor throughout the house.