Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  Retired But have had 30 years on the tools, Ex CORGI
15546140

Potterton Performa 30 HE boiler problem. Flue fault neon light

Customer Question

Potterton Performa 30 HE boiler problem. Flue fault neon light flashing. No hot water or central heating. Any ideas to fix this problem gratefully received.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rick here UK plumber, you need to remove the casing and check the flue overheat stat, it is manually resettable (little button in between the terminals) if this has tripped (push the button in) put the casing back and run the boiler if it should trip again you will need to call a service engineer as there could be a problem with the flue, if on the other hand it has not tripped then you need to look at the fan, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You

heating and water started working on their own - hence delayed response!

Has since stopped working twice before restarting.

Now hot water and heating suddenly not working again.

Can't find the little button you described - as not sure about the 'terminals'. The boiler is 3 years old.

When the boiler is working you can hear the fan.

best wishes

Dave

OK if it has started on its own then ignore the button it is not that, if is most likely a tired fan that sometimes cannot get up to speed, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - what would be the right solution if it is a tired fan pleas?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rick
Any ideas on how we fix this - as not good having a boiler that is only working intermittently - and not at the moment
Thanks
If you are handy, you could remove the fan and try some WD 40 on the bearings but other than that it is a new fan, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks will give it a go and let you know
OK wait to hear, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Rick
Problem continues
sprayed fan with WD40 a couple of times. Not sure if it made any difference - as sometimes radiators and water are working - and sometimes they are not..we have no control over when!Just wondered if it could be anything else as we can hear and see the fan working well -so don't think it is that.

The hot water pump is working for the central heating. Flue fault neon light is still flashing.Flue doesnt seem blocked because when working you can see 'exhaust fumes' coming out

wondering if it could be the pressure switch - can this be tested?

also in condensation trap - (the side with the black hose going into it)is full of condensation - is this how it should be?

best wishes
Dave
the problem with flues is that without dismantling it you cannot tell, sometimes the inner exhaust pipe can perforate and so mix exhaust into the incoming air which affects the pressure on the pressure switch, yes the pressure switch can be tested but to do it meaningfully you need a manometer to check the pressure that it is operating at, we know it works as such because the boiler runs, what we do not know is if it is only just about working and say a gust of wind could turn it off, re the condensate trap as long as the pipe is all inside the building you should not have any problems a frozen trap will shut the boiler down but would not give a flue fault, Rick