M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician
27079509

I have a Trane XL-80 furnace. Theres a red light blinking

Customer Question

I have a Trane XL-80 furnace. There's a red light blinking through the little round window. Fan works manually, but not automatically. House temp is 68; can't seem to get it to ignite/initiate.
What could be the problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  M Oglesby replied 3 years ago.

M Oglesby :

What pattern is the red light blinking in?

M Oglesby :

1 blink pause, 2 blink pause, 3 blink pause, etc...?

Customer :

Yes.

M Oglesby :

I need you to check to see what pattern it is blinking in. Those were examples for you to go by.

Customer :

Ahhh...

Customer :

Give me a moment and I'll time it.

M Oglesby :

ok

Customer :

Be right back...

M Oglesby :

alright.

Customer :

OK ---- 1 pause, 1 pause, etc. (one second intervals)

M Oglesby :

Remove the furnace panels and look on the back of them and tell me what a 1 blink LED troubleshooting code is indicating?

Customer :

Roger--- standby....

M Oglesby :

ok

Customer :

OK - I'm back. Only have one furnace panel. It has no legend or any directions/codes. Only covered in insulation. Blinking light is on circuit board which is clearly accessible.

M Oglesby :

Is the thermostat set to call for heat now?

Customer :

Yes.

Customer :

Sorry, wife called me from bedroom.

M Oglesby :

Is there a cutoff switch near the furnace that resembles a light switch?

Customer :

Yes. Turned it off, then on again. But very quickly.

M Oglesby :

Inside the furnace cabinet, there should be a inducer fan motor that is connected to the flue vent pipes and has a rubber hose attached to it that connects to a round pressure switch.

M Oglesby :

Do you see it?

Customer :

I'll have to go back downstairs into the basement and find it. What would you like me to check?

M Oglesby :

I want you to turn the switch off then back on and tell me if this inducer fan motor comes on.

M Oglesby :

It should be the first thing to come on.

M Oglesby :

If it doesn't come on, the igniter will not even attempt to ignite.

Customer :

OK. Can't find the round pressure switch, but it may be behind the higher of the two panels. I would need to remove it with screwdriver.

Customer :

However, I did try the outside switch again, and no change.

M Oglesby :

Are you able to take pictures of the furnace and attach them to this chat?

Customer :

yes.

Customer :

Give me a couple of minutes.

M Oglesby :

ok

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

OK. Hope this helps...

Customer :

Mr. Olgesby...are you still available?

M Oglesby :

Thanks for the pictures. But, I need a picture of the top inside cabinet. Remove the top panel door and take a picture of that section.