M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician

I have a Payne PG9MAB furnace. I smell an electrical burning

I have a Payne PG9MAB furnace. I smell an 'electrical burning' smell which prompted me to check the furnace. I removed the front panel and see the red LED status light is solid red - should it be solid red or does this indicate a problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  M Oglesby replied 3 years ago.

M Oglesby :

Do you see any troubleshooting codes on the back of the furnace panels? You may have to remove both to check them.

Customer :

troubleshooting codes? i have the furnace manual with a t-shooting guide.

M Oglesby :

It should tell you if the red light is normal or not.

M Oglesby :

Does the heater work?

Customer :

ok so the t-shooting guide is in flow chart form.

Customer :

first box: is LED status light on? --> YES

Customer :

Then, is LED status light blinking rapidly w/out a pause? --> NO

Customer :

Is LED status light blinking ON/OFF slowly w/ a combination of short and long flashes? --> NO

Customer :

then a very long explanation about recalling a status code by removing and reconnecting a red wire from limit switch

M Oglesby :

Is the thermostat set to call for heat?

Customer :

not sure if i can still recall because i turned the power switch to the furnace off already before i found the LED status light

Customer :

right now, yes but light is on whether heating or in standby

M Oglesby :

Your troubleshooting guide is pretty vague, but I am pretty sure that if the furnace is calling for heat, it should have a slow blink LED. Does the heat work?

Customer :

last few pages

Customer :

heat is working, i can see the flame through the sight glass

M Oglesby :

Does it fulfill the thermostat temp. set point?

Customer :

yes it is maintaining

Customer :

i changed furnace filters today about 12 hrs ago

M Oglesby :

Then your system is normal. The steady Red LED is normal.

M Oglesby :

You have no worries.

Customer :

any idea about why the electrical burning smell coming through the vents?

M Oglesby :

Do you still smell that smell?

Customer :

i think it has dissipated now but kind of hard to tell

Customer :

how were you able to find that the steady red LED is normal?

M Oglesby :

Because if there were a problem, the first thing the control board would do is shut off the gas valve and there would be no flame.

M Oglesby :

Anytime it allows the gas valve to remain open, there is no problem.

Customer :

what if control board is bad?

M Oglesby :

If the control board was bad, it would not work properly.

M Oglesby :

As long as everything is coming on when it should and going off when it should, the control board is good.

Customer :

looking at potential problems further down the t-shooting flow chart - may lead to 'replace furnace control' or 'check room t-stat or interconnecting cable'...etc.

Customer :

none of that seems probable to you?

M Oglesby :

I would advise you to check the wires at the control board to make sure they are snug and not arcing on a call for heat.

M Oglesby :

No. none of the potential problems on the troubleshooting chart seem probable at this time.

Customer :

where is the control board?

Customer :

is it accessible w/ front panel removed or do i have to remove another panel?

M Oglesby :

Usually it is behind the bottom panel.

M Oglesby :

The control board is where the LED light is.

Customer :

if i remove the bottom panel will there be a switch that cuts power to the furnace?

M Oglesby :

The control board is where the Red LED troubleshooting light is located.

Customer :

earlier you said "if the furnace is calling for heat, it should have a slow blink LED"....now you think a solid LED is normal?

M Oglesby :

It varies with each system.

M Oglesby :

Some systems a solid LED is normal, some a steady slow flash is normal, some a steady fast flash is normal, etc..., it varies.

M Oglesby :

It usually is listed in the troubleshooting Guide.

M Oglesby :

Do you still smell the odor?

Customer :

I don't smell the odor any longer

Customer :

all connections on the control board look snug

M Oglesby :

I don't think you have a problem. Observe your system to make sure it is functioning or if you smell the odor again.

Customer :

ok well i certainly appreciate your help

M Oglesby :

It is not unusual to smell a burnt odor that comes from the combustion process upon start-up.

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT if you are satisfied with this answer. If not, I will continue to assist you. Bonuses and positive feedback are greatly appreciated!!

Customer :

thanks

M Oglesby :

Merry Christmas!!

M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience: Universally Certified HVACR Technician