M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician
27079509

I have a Rheem classic series super quiet 80. It just quit

I have a Rheem classic series super quiet 80. It just quit this morning and will not start the flame. The blower comes on but no flame?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  M Oglesby replied 3 years ago.

M Oglesby :

Go to the furnace and there should be a turn off near the furnace that resembles a light swithch.

M Oglesby :

I mean light switch.

M Oglesby :

When you find it, cut it off for 30 min. then cut it back on and see if the igniter attempts to ignite the furnace.

M Oglesby :

You will have to remove the top cover and observe the ignition process.

M Oglesby :

Let me know how far the ignition sequence gets.

Customer :

Two green lights come on and then the fan comes on. After a few seconds I hear a clicking as if it is trying to ignite but no flame.

Customer :

I also had to take the bottom panel off too to see if it lit.

M Oglesby :

Are there any lights flashing on the control board?

Customer :

I actually got a flame going so I tried to put the door back on and the flame went out. Now it won't light with it all closed up.

Customer :

no lights flashing

M Oglesby :

This sounds like a flame sensor issue.

Customer :

How does one fix that?

M Oglesby :

The flame sensor rod is a small thin steel rod that is straight or L shaped. it is located near the pilot igniter or the outside corners of the burner tray inside the furnace cabinet. Locate it, remove it, and clean it very very good with a piece of sandpaper.

Customer :

ok

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT if this does the trick. If not, I will continue to assist you. Thanks! Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated!

Customer :

It wouldn't light so I took off the panels again and lit it. It worked. So I put the panels back on and it wouldn't light. So I tried it again and it lit? Does it mean that it is fixed? It is still lit after 4-5 min.

M Oglesby :

Lets give it a while and see.

M Oglesby :

Monitor it for about 15 - 20 min.

Customer :

So how does this work do I contact you in the am?

Customer :

OK

M Oglesby :

Just monitor it overnight. If it is still working later, Hit ACCEPT

M Oglesby :

If not, let me know and I will continue to assist you.

M Oglesby :

Bonuses and positive feedback are very much appreciated!!

Customer :

Thank you so much if it is still running in the Morning I will hit accept and give a great recomendation.

M Oglesby :

Thank you and Merry Christmas!!

Customer :

I got up and checked my furnace this morning and it is still working. I can't thank you enough for your help. In just a few interchanges we solved my problem. I didn't know that fixing a heater would or could be so easy and quick. Since it is 33 degrees outside I want you to know how appreciative my family is about your service. Totally satisfied!!!

M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience: Universally Certified HVACR Technician