gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC

How can I tell 1 or 2 transformers for heating/cooling system I just purchased a LU

How can I tell 1 or 2 transformers for heating/cooling system? I just purchased a LUX SmartTemp TX1500E 5-1-1 programmable thermostat to replace the Bryant thermostat which failed (installed when home built in 2004) the instructions ask if I have a one transformer or two transformer for a heat/cool system with 4 and 5 wire or 5 and 6 wire (I have four wires)

The thermostat controls both air con and natural gas furnace, and there are separate thermostates for upstairs and downstairs control. I have two separate air con units (one for upstairs, one for downstairs) and the gas furnace I don't know for sure, but the forced air definitely blows separate for upstairs and downstairs.

My question is: for the wiring diagram, do I use the 1 or 2 transformer setup? The existing thermostat I am replacing only has four wires (red, white, green and yellow) so I would assume I have a one-transformer system but just want to be sure.
If that are your colors you have a one transformer system. Not many two transformer system unless comercial. Russ