Bart Jay
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified

I have a Rheem Imperial 80 Plus furnace. The heater functions

I have a Rheem Imperial 80 Plus furnace. The heater functions properly to deliver heat but the fan stays on all the time. If I cut power to the furnace by tripping the breaker and leave it off for 1 or 2 minutes, when I turn the breaker back on the fan remains off until the heater kicks back on to deliver heat. I'm guessing I have a switch that's sticking but is there any way to tell if it's in the heater or if it's a thermostat problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 3 years ago.
Do you have the full modle number of that furance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Full Model Number is: RGLC-07EC1GS. Manufactured around 1987. FYI - When I remove the cover there is a Honeywell Fan Limit switch front and center.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 3 years ago.

Does that limit have a dial that you could turn?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - there is a silver dial that has a couple of pointers. (Looks similar to a light switch timer, if you know what I mean.) It has a couple of pointers that appear to be adjustable.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 3 years ago.

Ok if you cycle the sytem form the stat and the fan stay on , turn that dial lightly counterclockwise and see if the fan stops.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Done - but no affect. The dial felt like it was spring loaded, and so I turned it lightly to the left and it sprung back, but no affect on the fan.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry thinking more it may be clockwise. Turn it so the lower numbers (90) are at the top. you should here a click going both ways.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't really hear a 'click'. I can turn it about 1/4 of the way in either direction. It actually turned off once by itself earlier today but it once again seems to just be staying on right now. (note - I did notice a little bit of intermittence before, but every night I have to shut it off by tripping the breaker.)
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 3 years ago.

If there is no "click the switch is not opneing or closing. that has to be the problem. Do you have AC on the system?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - there is AC on the system also.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 3 years ago.
Let the system reset to nothing running. Then at the stat turn the fan to the on position. Let it run for a few minutes then turn the switch back to Auto. What happens? Doe the fan shut off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - started from scratch - total reset, heat not running. Turning stat switch to 'On' turns on the fan. Turning back to Auto shuts it off. Tried running the heat again, and then the fan continues running. Switches on the stat have no affect, even turning the heat/AC swtich to off. Have to trip the breaker to get the fan to stop, and leave it off for about 1 minute or 2 at which point the fan stays off.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 3 years ago.
has to be the fan limit switch then. check for the part number on it. Should like L4064 a letter and four more digits. Goggle that part number and you should be able to find it online. any other questions just ask.
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience: 35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified